-
partitioning/installing/qtparted/cfdisk nothings working :(
Well I started out attempting to partition some space from my XP hd for Linux and a swap, everything went great until I got the error:
"Error: Formatting of failed. Some messages from mkfs.ex3: useage mkfs.ex3["..etc - I truncated most of it because it's just argument use information.
Ok so, I figured that there was something wrong with my partition, so I gave up on keeping Windows in tact and formatted the whole thing. So there it is; 20 gigs of free unpartitioned space.
I load up my Knoppix cd and first try qtparted. I was able to create a 10 gig, primary, linux partition and then created 1 gig primary partition dedicated to my swap. Simple enough.. everything partitioned right. So I Ctrl+Alt+F1 - typed 'sudo knoppix-installer' and began my installation. Everything seemed fine. The linux partition was detected. I set my passwords, username, etc. Then we get to the Yes/No confirmation screen. I accept and then am prompted with the same error I received before:
"Error: Formatting of failed. Some messages from mkfs.ex3: useage mkfs.ex3["..etc - I truncated most of it because it's just argument use information.
Hmm this is strange, I completely reformatted the drive and am still getting this stupid Formatting error. Ok, so I try cfdisk.
I do the same thing, only this time I set my swap partition to extended (since qtparted wouldn't let me, lol) and the partitions are set up once again. I load the installer and the same thing happens. I get the same error.
Well, I begin to think that it is something wrong with the way im partitioning it, SO I follow some guide that instructs me that you will partition inside of the setup (using cfdisk) SO I boot up with my win floppy and fdisk the hard drive clean again.
I begin the Knoppix installation this time with no set partitions. Knoppix informs me that I haven't met the requirments and now needs me to partition my drives, so I select partition and then select the drive I have been working with (hdb). Guess what, another error:
"Opened disk read-only - you have no permission to write." (i press enter)
"Fatal Error: Cannot read disk drive."
And thus, I am here...
Similar Threads
-
By rickenbacherus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 61
Last Post: 05-20-2009, 03:07 PM
-
By Newbie-100 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-11-2005, 10:57 PM
-
By BillinBoston in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-25-2005, 06:12 PM
-
By jehan60188 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-22-2004, 04:06 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit
$199.97

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 400800 PAL CPU6502C Sally PCB with PAL ANTIC GTIA G3D
$70.00

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75