Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: KNOPPIX34 IS A HIT!!!

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    18

    Knoppix 3.4

    LOVE it, despite initial problems with Bradcast DHCP (fixed by replugging network cables to Switch)

    Particularly liker ability to auto recognise my external firewire HDD, and allow me to read from it (NTFS partitioned - WinXP).

    Also LOVE the ability to read my DVD-RAM disks

    Haven't tried writing to DVD-RAM yet, or using Captive to write to NTFS.

    Am getting that much closer to ditching XP permanently.

    Now all I have to do is manage to convert my bookmarks from a CSV file (kept in a windows PIM) and import them into a bookmark manager in Knoppix.

    master_b

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692

    Re: Knoppix 3.4

    Quote Originally Posted by master_b
    Am getting that much closer to ditching XP permanently.
    I have to admit, the idea of living without being dependent upon paid software seems less and less like a pipe dream since 3.4 came out. I'm still not ready to talk non-geeks into it, though.

    JD

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    Knoppix 3.4 a hit? I disagree. As I stated in another post every new version of knoppix has a new set of problems for me. Now with 3.4 my pc does not shutoff completely. Used to be okay in 3.3 and also with the Cbit remaster.
    What is going on? Knoppix is supposed(?) to get better. I don't think it's only me as there are 2 posts already with the same problem.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    I just want to say that 3.4 is a total hit. Me being a newbie to linux, and coming from M$ I spent a full week researching the installation issues and playing with the live CD. I was scared to install it, but finally I decided to take the plunge by installing it on my laptop. It worked and all the external devices work too (though I had to look to find answers to some questions like editing the fstab for usb device and making the cdrom work).

    I am still clueless about the fact, that sometimes my system boots directly to kde and sometimes to console where I have to issue startx command to start kde. And in these two cases, fonts on the applications like konqueror and kwrite change completely. But that is a minor problem. I am sure someday it will get fixed or I will find out the solution somewhere on the net.

    It has been over a week now I booted that other OS. If things work the way they are right now for a while, I am considering firing M$ for ever and recover my precious diskspace on my laptop.

    Grrrreat work!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Renastered knoppix34 with Atmel USB wireless drivers?
    By dave52355 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 10:50 PM
  2. 1600x1200 with knoppix34
    By booty in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GORF Atari/Roklan 400/800 Cartridge Brand New In Box picture

GORF Atari/Roklan 400/800 Cartridge Brand New In Box

$48.00



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



GRAPHIC SHOP - Atari 400/800 XL/XE - Antic picture

GRAPHIC SHOP - Atari 400/800 XL/XE - Antic

$36.00



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00