Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: KNOPPIX34 IS A HIT!!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    KNOPPIX34 IS A HIT!!!

    Works great right out of the box (after burning, that is)! No sooner had I burnt some KNOPPIX34 CDs than I reinstalled all my PCs at work. Could not have been easier or smoother! Kernel26 seems to be working just fine on my Dell Optiplex G270s too!

    The only weird thing is on the KDM login screen, right after boot-up, it takes a little while before the mouse is recognized. I have to move the mouse around for about 20-30 seconds before the mouse pointer actually moves. I don't know why that happens, but once the pointer moves, there's no other problems so far.

    Congrats Klauss et al for a great update!!!

    Regards,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692

    Re: KNOPPIX34 IS A HIT!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Works great right out of the box (after burning, that is)! No sooner had I burnt some KNOPPIX34 CDs than I reinstalled all my PCs at work. Could not have been easier or smoother! Kernel26 seems to be working just fine on my Dell Optiplex G270s too!

    The only weird thing is on the KDM login screen, right after boot-up, it takes a little while before the mouse is recognized. I have to move the mouse around for about 20-30 seconds before the mouse pointer actually moves. I don't know why that happens, but once the pointer moves, there's no other problems so far.

    Congrats Klauss et al for a great update!!!

    Regards,
    AJG
    Thank you, Jorge, for validating my reported bug - See Fabian, I'm NOT CRAZY! (I posted it as a bug in 0504 release)

    Just downloaded the 0510 release with Knoppix26. Greatly improved!!! The mouse is still sluggish, especially with small movements, seems reluctant to move (HP optical mouse made by Logitech, I think).

    I don't have to use the noscsi boot flag any more, and the clock reads the correct time!

    I did still get a hang when I tried to install the NTFS drivers, though.

    Anyway, this is the best so far. My thanks as well!!

    JD

    Klik is COOL.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    BTW, clock reverts to the 05-04 problems when midnight hits (apparently the fix cannot handle hour =0,

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: KNOPPIX34 IS A HIT!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Thank you, Jorge, for validating my reported bug - See Fabian, I'm NOT CRAZY! (I posted it as a bug in 0504 release)
    Sorry,

    no offence was meant.

    Your bug report did sound like you were unsatisfied with the mouse speed. And A. Jorge Gacia's problem solved "itself" after moving the mouse around a bit.

    I still don't know how we can fix that issue though. I want to put it to 2.6 bugs , but if you can prove me how to fix it, I would be glad ...

    cu

    Fabian

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    37

    3.4 (2.6.5) is 8)

    I just wanted to say that 3.4 is great

    Thanks to all at Knoppix for a great distro....

    Dave T.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692

    Re: KNOPPIX34 IS A HIT!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    Sorry,

    no offence was meant
    None taken. Your work is greatly appreciated, and I can't begin to propose a fix. All I can do is report what I see as accurately as I can, and hope that someone like you is smart enough to figure it out.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Well, the mouse problem is related to 2.6 as it only happens when I boot Kernel 2.6!

    BTW, in lilo dual-boot on my Debian hdinstalls, I now get WIMxPdoze and 3 choices for Linux: Linux, Linux 2.4 and Linux 2.6, are the first 2 Linux choices basically the same? I don't see any difference.

    The mouse problem isn't a big deal for me, but its enough of a big deal in a multiuser environment that we can't use 2.6 yet. My users invariably think the PC is off - not just asleep - and reboot!

    Regards,
    AJG

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    For me, it is most apparent when I try to move the optical mouse very slowly - sort of a one jerk forward, 2 jerks back sort of thing, if that makes any sense. Looks like it's trying not to move when I go slowly. So, when I move the mouse in a normal fashion, the net effect is that the pointer moves more slowly and jerkily than expected, and not as far. The faster hand movement overcomes the jerky resistance.

    It's not slow in the sense of latency. It's like you're dragging a running dog by its tail, not as if you're pulling a weight with a rubber band.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    58
    I experience the same symptoms with my mouse when I start X.
    I have to move the mouse a lot to make it start.
    I tried letting it set for a while after logon to see if it would start responding
    on its own but no matter how long it sets idle, I sill must move the mouse
    for at least 10 seconds before it will respond.

    I thought I had set something wrong.
    I'm sorry you guys are having a problem but I'm glad it's not just me.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    Mouse

    I had the same problem. I switched to an optical mouse on the USB port, and that worked fine. So, I don't know why my old ps/2 mechanical mouse didn't work, but I can attest that the optical mouse worked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Renastered knoppix34 with Atmel USB wireless drivers?
    By dave52355 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 10:50 PM
  2. 1600x1200 with knoppix34
    By booty in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00