Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: newbie - debian version

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7

    newbie - debian version

    What release of Debian will I have after installing Knoppix to the HD? Assuming it is not a stock release, which release is it closest to?

    More to the point, what if any changes to the sources file will be needed, and which Debian release will I be looking for .debs for?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    11
    Knoppix is based on Debian Woody testing. You will find more software packages on any Debian mirror. Please look at

    http://www.debian.org/

    For updating and downloading software you should be familiar with apt-get, a piece of software that does all the downloading and installing for you. Please read the documentations at www.debian.org. There are a number of very good introductions to apt-get in the net, just try to locate them via Google.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7

    Debian Woody testing

    Thanks for the answer; I apologize that it leads to another question:

    What is "Debian Woody testing"?

    I thought Woody was now stable and that Sarge is testing, and yet I hear that "KDE 3.1 is now in Woody", even though Woody is stable at KDE 2.2. I guess this is why I felt the need to ask in the first place.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    11
    You are right and I am wrong: "sarge" is the codename for the testing release of the current debian, while "woody" is the name of the current stable release. According to the readme-file that comes with Knoppix the system is based on debian "testing" (=sarge) and "unstable" (=sid). When the testing is done and over, sarge will be the new release and replace woody.

    Woody comes with KDE 2.2, indeed. I've read somewhere that there is KDE 3.1. available for woody, but I've read also that it is rather tricky to integrate KDE 3.1. into a running woody debian system. If I was you I would simply wait for the next debian release and then, doing apt-get, you will easily switch to KDE 3.1 by updating your whole system (provided sarge comes with KDE 3.1).

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7

    Knoppix version of Debian

    Thanks for answering me, but I still don't know what version of Debian Knoppix is based on. Is it in fact based on any specific version of Debian.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    11
    Well, I don't know if there is a more specific answer to your question than: Knoppix is based on debian testing and debian unstable. If your question is provoked by a kind of fear that you may ruin the system when installing "wrong" or "unstable" software, you should know that debian can handle the installation of different versions of software pieces. For instance you can download and install software X from the "stable" package AND software X from the "unstable" package. But as I said: to do this, you should read a little bit about apt-get. And please forgive me: I think this thread and all of your questions should be better placed in the General Support forum. There you may find more and more extensive help.

  7. #7

    Apt Source list and pinning before initial apt-get update


Similar Threads

  1. what debian is knoppix? what version of xfree i got?
    By tonycooles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 01:22 PM
  2. What version of Debian?
    By adventurepants in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 12:48 PM
  3. What version of Debian am I using after doing a HD install?
    By jbrush in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 05:53 AM
  4. HD Install what Debian version?
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-17-2003, 05:15 PM
  5. hdd install = debian, what version ?
    By jymden in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core Ultra 7 270K Plus 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores) picture

Intel Core Ultra 7 270K Plus 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores)

$269.99



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$179.99



GEEKOM A8 Mini PC, Ryzen 7 8745HS, 16GB DDR5 Upgradeable RAM, 1TB SSD picture

GEEKOM A8 Mini PC, Ryzen 7 8745HS, 16GB DDR5 Upgradeable RAM, 1TB SSD

$850.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7700 8-Core 3.8GHz Socket AM5 CPU w/ Wraith Cooler 100-100000592BOX picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700 8-Core 3.8GHz Socket AM5 CPU w/ Wraith Cooler 100-100000592BOX

$135.00



*Brand New-Factory Sealed* AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 5.6GHz AM5 00-100001973WOF picture

*Brand New-Factory Sealed* AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 5.6GHz AM5 00-100001973WOF

$429.00



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$395.00



Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW picture

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW

$225.00



HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD picture

HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD

$199.95