Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Dell CPiA 366 XT boot problem solved?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    N Calif.
    Posts
    3

    Dell CPiA 366 XT boot problem solved?

    Hi, I finally got a hold of a fast enough connection (temporarily) to give this OS a try.

    It booted right up o my brother's gateway PII 500Mhz desktop & his IBM thinkpad (P-III 850 mhz...sorry don't have any more specs).

    When I got it home, it booted to my old Compaq 5204 (AMDK62- 350, 192 MB RAM, via chipset, ATI Mach 64 LT, ESS sound (sound didn't work)).
    I had a problem with my Dell laptop CPiA 366 (PII-366, 128 MB ram, neomagic video & sound)..

    Just in case it might help someone else, this string got it working:
    linux26 knoppix noscsi nosmb atapicd acpi=off

    I didn't go through a scientific process to get to this string, so some of it may be able to be eliminated, this is just the first string that resulted in a successful boot.

    noscsi acpi=off by themselves didn't work (it would hang at detecting sda (something) I should have made notes, I guess

    I'll add to this as (if) I find anything that might be helpful.

    Dave

  2. #2
    Hi,
    I've got the same machine, but succeeded in booting 3.4 by booting with kernel 2.4. After install to harddisk, you can choose kernel 2.6 anyway. This works fine. Dell CpiA seems to have a quite buggy BIOS, as far as ACPI is concerned. Flashing the BIOS should help something.

    Peter

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    N Calif.
    Posts
    3
    Last I checked I have the latest bios on this machine. Dell even has special SW to install that keeps win98 from tying to use acpi with this machine (its a required install when flashing to the A15 (?) bios.)

    Wasn't looking to do a HD install, only a 6GB HD & room is getting tight. Booting from CD &2.4 didn't work, but I didn't try passing anything beyond noscsi.

    I'll play with the string when I get some time & see if I can shorten it.

    Dave

Similar Threads

  1. Boot script to run my scripts?...PROBLEM SOLVED
    By sunburnt in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 07:13 PM
  2. 3.6 hdd install lilo problem solved
    By eludom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 12:21 AM
  3. Shutdown Problem with 3.4/5-10:Please Help!(SOLVED)
    By bongski55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 08:30 AM
  4. Dell 1900FP -- Solved!
    By marciano in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 12:00 PM
  5. Solved :Version 0726 Boot Problem
    By bongski55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 11:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G) picture

Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G)

$32.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00