Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: install 3.4 over 3.2

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    install 3.4 over 3.2

    Ok, I've been trying my luck with Knoppix 3.2 (-> newbie) and i'm not quite happy with it yet, so I decided I'll go for 3.4. Windows 2000 and Knoppix 3.2 are installed on seperate partitions, LILO is the boot manager.

    My question is: do I have to uninstall LILO first, or can I just install 3.4 on the Linux partion. I'm asking this in the forum 'cause I really don't want any hassles with Windows not booting any more and the mbr of my harddrive wrecked.



    I just need some instructions of how to go about it.

    Thanx

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    8
    Hey there

    You do not have to uninstall LILO in order to install 3.4.
    The new LILO version from your new 3.4 installation will just overwrite your previous one, so you do not have to worry about this.

    You can always boot your PC from a windows rescue-floppy disc and write in the dos prompt

    A:>fdisk /mbr
    (make sure you have fdisk.com on the floppy disk)

    This command will re-write your MBR so that ONLY Windows boots. This means, it will erase LILO.
    This is just in case something goes wrong with 3.4, but I think everything should be just fine.

    Regards.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2
    Simple answer, thank you very much!!

    RonanQ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lof ot 2 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 2Rx8 SODIMM RAM HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK picture

Lof ot 2 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 2Rx8 SODIMM RAM HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK

$334.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS picture

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS

$1450.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$289.80