-
Nessus-update-plugins
Knoppix-std has the ability to update nessus plugins using the nessus-update-plugins scripts whilst running off the CD. On vanilla knoppix, it fails with the cannot create regular file, read only file system error.
Any chance of adding this capability to knoppix (or is there alternative way of doing it right now) ?
Thanks,
Victor
-
I think I got this script from a post somewhere on this forum. You might want to do a search if you need more information about it.
#!/bin/sh
#
if ! [ "$USER" = 'root' ]
then
echo "You must be root to run this script!!"
exit 1
fi
#
echo "Removing symlink to nessus in etc directory"
rm -rf /etc/nessus
#
echo "(Re)creating nessus directories under ramdisk"
rm -rf /ramdisk/nessus
mkdir /ramdisk/nessus
mkdir /ramdisk/nessus/plugins
#
echo "creating symlink back to /etc/nessus"
ln -s /ramdisk/nessus /etc/nessus
#
echo "Moving all nessus files from CD to ramdisk"
cp /KNOPPIX/etc/nessus/* /ramdisk/nessus
#
echo "Updating location of plugins in nessusd.conf"
cat /ramdisk/nessus/nessusd.conf | grep -v "plugins_folder" > /ramdisk/scratch
mv -f /ramdisk/scratch /ramdisk/nessus/nessusd.conf
echo "plugins_folder = /ramdisk/nessus/plugins" >> /ramdisk/nessus/nessusd.conf
#
echo "updating plugins"
/usr/sbin/nessus-update-plugins -v
-
In case it helps anyone else, I ran into this problem using the Security Tools Distribution (STD), which is based on knoppix. File locations had shifted enough that the above script would have taken some work (maybe I'll try to adapt it).
In my case, I was getting a lot of cp (copy) errors as files from:
/usr/lib/knoppix/plugins/*
had symbolic links to the cd (/KNOPPIX/???/nessus/plugins/* ).
To work around, since I don't recommend a scan with anything less than the latest plugins, I deleted /usr/lib/knoppix/plugins/* and it's subdirectory (.../plugins/.desc/*),
then re-ran nessus-update-plugins. Bingo.
Hope this helps.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix already has a way to update Nessus.
/usr/sbin/nessus-update-plugins
-

Originally Posted by
aay
Knoppix already has a way to update Nessus.
/usr/sbin/nessus-update-plugins
Tried it under 3.6 and that does not work.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Monicker

Originally Posted by
aay
Knoppix already has a way to update Nessus.
/usr/sbin/nessus-update-plugins
Tried it under 3.6 and that does not work.
I haven't tried this under 3.6, but did you do this as root?
-

Originally Posted by
aay

Originally Posted by
Monicker

Originally Posted by
aay
Knoppix already has a way to update Nessus.
/usr/sbin/nessus-update-plugins
Tried it under 3.6 and that does not work.
I haven't tried this under 3.6, but did you do this as root?
Yes, I ws logged in as root.
Similar Threads
-
By uber in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-25-2005, 08:17 PM
-
By velvet in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-16-2005, 05:07 PM
-
By ehoward777 in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-24-2003, 03:36 AM
-
By jafo in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-27-2003, 11:24 AM
-
By timix in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77

Genuine Samsung MLT-D205L Black Toner Cartridge 205L
$60.00