-
3Com 3c556B Mini-PCI Ethernet Card
Hi,
I have an IBM A21m Thinkpad and under Knoppix 3.2 this card rus OK but does not run under 3.4. In 3.2, lspci shows it as '3Com Corporation 3c556B Hurricane CardBus (rev 20). In3.4 lspci shows '3Com Corporation 3c556B CardBus [Tornado]. ifconfig show a hardware address of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. From lsmod on 3.2 and 3.4 it looks like it uses the 3c59x driver, but this shows as unused on 3.4. I have tried 'ifconfig eth0 up' and 'pump -i eth0' but this fails.
Any suggestions? Thanks
Dallas
-
I now know it is not a networking problem. the 3c59x driver hasn't changed from Knoppix 3.3 to 3.4. If anyone can point me to the driver that detects pci devices I may be able to solve my own problem. The card is now incorrectly detected as '3c556B CardBus [Tornado]' when it is a '3c556B Hurricane CardBus'. I will post more details (lspci -v) on the Hardware forums.
Dallas
-

Originally Posted by
dallas
. The card is now incorrectly detected as '3c556B CardBus [Tornado]' when it is a '3c556B Hurricane CardBus'.
Dallas
I have similar Thinkpad (IBM T21). KNOPPIX 3.2/3.3 worked just fine... but KNOPPIX 3.4 did not. To be more precise, everything worked except "networking". Solution (aka workaround)
was to pass a parameter to the kernel at boot time.
knoppix acpi=off
This is not the best solution, but it works. I've learned about "acpi" workaround from the creator of the "mephis" distribution. Networking did not work.
What is in common for KNOPPIX and MEPHIS ? Both are based on "debian" and in both cases
networking did not work.
RH8/9 and Mandrake do not have any problem with networking on the IBM T21.
I hope it helps
Igor
Similar Threads
-
By PilotMan in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-20-2005, 03:16 AM
-
By dallas in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-13-2004, 03:27 AM
-
By mborchorst in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-27-2004, 12:37 AM
-
By bahamut in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-11-2003, 11:40 PM
-
By DukeLeto in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-14-2003, 01:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

Desktop Vacuum Cleaner Mini Desk Portable Dust Crumb White
$21.35

MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit
$399.00

WONHOX Vacuum Seal Backpack for Travel with Air Pump XX-Large, A68-beige
$93.82

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67