You need to patch your driver to enable monitor mode.
http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinocoinfo.html
I have the same card and don't have any problems running kismet and airsnort in Knoppix 3.3 (card is patched automatically). Haven't tried Knoppix 3.4.
I have a Dell 1150 Truemoblie wifi card (ie Orinoco Gold). I can't seem to (ever) get monitor mode to work in airsnort! Oh yeah and Kismet doesn't work either!
When I run knoppix26 to connect to my network I take these steps.
1. Run netcardconfig, select eth0, and dhcp broadcast.
2. Launch wavelan and close netcardconfig (before it fails).
3. I enter my sid and my wep key
4. pump -i eth0 and I'm good.
here is my iwpriv and lsmod it looks like orinoco.cs is loaded (I assume it is the patched version), but as you can see iwpriv does not show monitor:
Code:knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ iwpriv eth0 eth0 Available private ioctl : force_reset (8BE0) : set 0 & get 0 card_reset (8BE1) : set 0 & get 0 set_port3 (8BE2) : set 1 int & get 0 get_port3 (8BE3) : set 0 & get 1 int set_preamble (8BE4) : set 1 int & get 0 get_preamble (8BE5) : set 0 & get 1 int set_ibssport (8BE6) : set 1 int & get 0 get_ibssport (8BE7) : set 0 & get 1 int dump_recs (8BFF) : set 0 & get 0Code:knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ lsmod Module Size Used by md5 8064 1 ipv6 248320 6 snd_mixer_oss 19200 0 via_agp 9984 0 sworks_agp 11424 0 sis_agp 9600 0 nvidia_agp 10140 0 intel_mch_agp 12044 0 intel_agp 18968 1 efficeon_agp 10624 0 ati_agp 10636 0 amd64_agp 12872 0 amd_k7_agp 10124 0 ali_agp 9600 0 agpgart 32204 11 via_agp,sworks_agp,sis_agp,nvidia_agp,intel_mch_agp,intel_agp,efficeon_agp,ati_agp,amd64_agp,amd_k7_agp,ali_agp autofs 19584 1 i810_audio 34704 1 ac97_codec 19840 1 i810_audio b44 23680 0 snd_intel8x0m 20228 0 snd_ac97_codec 59396 1 snd_intel8x0m snd_pcm 87808 1 snd_intel8x0m snd_timer 26240 1 snd_pcm snd 50692 5 snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0m,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer soundcore 12000 3 i810_audio,snd snd_page_alloc 13188 2 snd_intel8x0m,snd_pcm parport_pc 38176 0 parport 39104 1 parport_pc 8250 34208 0 serial_core 23168 1 8250 joydev 13504 0 evdev 12416 0 tsdev 9984 0 hid 46400 0 af_packet 21636 0 orinoco_cs 11784 1 orinoco 44932 1 orinoco_cs hermes 11264 2 orinoco_cs,orinoco ds 17920 3 orinoco_cs yenta_socket 17664 1 pcmcia_core 59136 3 orinoco_cs,ds,yenta_socket thermal 15760 0 processor 21440 1 thermal fan 7564 0 button 9240 0 battery 12556 0 ac 8204 0 rtc 15560 0 cloop 15456 1 ohci1394 33920 0 ieee1394 305552 1 ohci1394 usb_storage 67072 0 ohci_hcd 20864 0 uhci_hcd 33416 0 usbcore 94420 6 hid,usb_storage,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd megaraid 40904 0 ide_cd 39680 0 ide_scsi 17668 1I know a LOT of people use Orinoco Cards so there must be a way or I must be doing something wrong, but I haven't really seen any complaints.Code:knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ kismet Server options: none Client options: none Starting server... Waiting for server to start before startuing UI... Suid priv-dropping disabled. This may not be secure. No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled. Enabling channel hopping. Enabling channel splitting. NOTICE: Disabling channel hopping, no enabled sources are able to change channel. Source 0 (ciscosource): Enabling monitor mode for cisco source interface eth0 channel 6... FATAL: Unknown interface eth0: Permission denied
Any help would be great!
Thanks
Booty
You need to patch your driver to enable monitor mode.
http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinocoinfo.html
I have the same card and don't have any problems running kismet and airsnort in Knoppix 3.3 (card is patched automatically). Haven't tried Knoppix 3.4.
yes in 3.3 my iwpriv shows monitor mode for et0, and kismet seems to work (at least it loads), but I have never been able to get airsnort to work.
could it be a firmware issue? and has anybody that has 3.4 running have problems with their truemobile card? Is the patch installed?
I just tried Knoppix 3.4 and both kismet and airsnort work.
Monitor mode is listed under iwpriv.
Just reconfigure kismet for orinoco and you should be O.K.
but that is the problem on mine it does not show monitor in my iwpriv (as I have shown above).
how/where do I reconfigure kismet and airsnort?
I should have been more specific in my last post. When I ran it in Knoppix 3.4 I didn't use the 2.6 kernel. Check the airsnort link I gave you, I'm not sure if there is a patch for the 2.6 kernel, yet.
You need to modify the kismet.conf file. I can't recall what directory it's in, do a file search and it should turn up. In the conf file (near the beginning) there is a list of sources kismet can use. The default is for cisco cards. You would comment that out and uncomment the orinoco card.
ok well my questions were solely based on the 26 kernel, but thanks for the answer. It looks like you are right 2.6 is not patched yet.
but even with the patched 2.4kernel I have NEVER been able to get airsnort to work. Kismet use to work in 3.3, but not in 3.4 but I'm sure it is due to the config file. can that affect airsnort?
NEWBIE question: how do I change the kismet.config since it is burned on the cd (I don't use a hardware install yet)? Do I have to remaster it?
I'm more concerned about airsnort then kismet as I have never been able to make it work!
thanks,
Booty
If this works for you then make it into a script and save in your persistent home directory.
sudo rm -rf /etc/kismet/
sudo cp -R /KNOPPIX/etc/kismet /home/knoppix/
sudo ln -s /home/knoppix/kismet /etc/
sudo kedit /etc/kismet/kismet.conf
In Knoppix 3.4, kismet is set up for cisco cards, so as I said in my previous post you'll need to comment that out and uncomment the orinoco. Adjust the interface, eth0, eth1, whatever.
Airsnort should work if kismet does. Make sure you have the right interface and correct source selected from the drop down box.
are there any cheat codes to change it to orinoco on start up?
also how do you create a script?
Hey guys,
I got airosnort in 3.3 to work but its a roundabout way of doing it
1.At bootloader type "knoppix single" ("knoppix 2" should also work)
2.When booted, type "startx", this will start the GUI (as root)
3.When booted, open a terminal and type "kismet", kismet should start and put card into monitor mode.
4.Start airosnort, select orinoco and eth0 (if eth0 is the orinoco card)
5.Click start and as card is already in monitor mode airsnort has no problems.
This works for me, hope it does for you too.![]()

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)
$361.91
Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management
$249.97
Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99
Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC
$10499.99
Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86
Juniper EX4650 Ethernet Switch
$35200.99
Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00
Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99