Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Monitor shuts down? Trying Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8

    Monitor shuts down? Trying Knoppix

    I am a lnux newbie . I downloaded the iso image, burned it then changed the boot sequence and everything was running good . It was picking up all my hardware and the Penguin was at the top of the screen and it looked like everything was going to work. Then the screen on my monitor goes black and the green light on the monitor turns red , indicating that it is on standby or shut down. What can fix this?

    I have a pentium III 866mhz proc., 512 megs Ram, Ge Force2 mx400 64mb video card.
    Please help!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8
    i am also getting an error message insmod/lib/modules/2.4.24-xfs/kernel/drivers/input/input.o failed maybe this will help to figure it out. Please help.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Is this the last message before the screen turns black?

    Often acpi is making trouble so you could try 'acpi=off' at the bootprompt.
    Did you create a xfs-filesystem? (If unsure: no)
    I don't know whether you may prevent it from being searched, but it doesn't sound as if it could be a serious error.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8
    thank you from your reply, but unfortunately it didnt work. I still get the same error" insmod/lib/modules/2.4.24-xfs/kernel/drivers/input/input.o failed "

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    There where several problems described in several threads, but I'm only guessing, what might help. Did you discover the help-screen with suggestions?
    scsi has been told to prevent successful booting, and one option seems very general, about performing only few tests, but I don't remember the name of these options.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8
    i downloaded an older version 2.7 i believe so i will try the new distro 3.4. I hope I will have better luck ,,, thanks for the advice.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8
    unfortunately the newe st distro doesnt work either. It is the 3.4 distro of knoppix. Once again the monitor shuts down after the black screen with the penguin in the top left corner. This time there are not any error messages . Could it be a display setting, or perhaps a BIOS setting?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Did you try all of these bootoptions?
    I know, I'm only guessing...

    failsafe
    acpi=off
    noscsi
    noapm

    They are briefly described in one of the help-screens while booting. And I'm not sure whether it is 'noapm' or 'apm=off' so have a look at them.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Try one of these depending upon what card you have.

    xmodule=ati|radeon|fbdev|vesa|savage|s3|nv|i810|mg a|svga|tseng

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4
    I had a similar problem with one monitor. When I tried another monitor I got an error message that the display settings were out of range. I was able to fix it by preesing F3 at the initial knoppix splash and changing vysnc and hsync to 65. Both monitors then booted up without problems.

    Steve Schwimmer
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Laptop seemingly randomly shuts it self off...
    By Killerah in forum Laptops
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 05:32 AM
  2. Knoppix Shuts Down but PC Stays On
    By jMon54 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 02:13 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 07:24 PM
  4. Monitor Shuts Down When Opening X
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 03:04 AM
  5. knoppix 3.2 boots immediately shuts down
    By omagere in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 01:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



Netgate SG-1100 firewall picture

Netgate SG-1100 firewall

$140.00