Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: moveing persistent home to 3.4

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    moveing persistent home to 3.4

    anyway with this bnew release I thought I'd try it out again.

    How ever when I load up my persistent home where the

    home, konsole, konqueror, and mozilla icons should be their is a bunch of gears.

    I figured that the icons probably changed so i updated them to the current ones.

    But I want to know if there is anything else I would need to update?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Well that didn't work.

    as soon as I rebooted the gears came back. Do I need to remeake my home?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    what would be nice is if someone created a program to update the needed files. Or has someone already done that.

    Because I'd rather not try to back up my home and then recreat it because I dn't know what files I will need/want to back up.

    Sigh.

    Also does anyone else have the problem of lock up when knoppix loads the kernel?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    anyone?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    USA, Louisiana, Oil City
    Posts
    20
    I'm not real smart with Linux/Knoppix much but I'm learning.

    I've been moving and backing up and restoring my persistant directory onto a 512MB memory chip (USB) for a month or so now. Just mostly playing about and seeing how things tie together. So far I haven't lost any day yet (that I know of).

    I've been playing with the aes256 loopback setups for encrypting the drive and so forth. I'll give you some of the info that I've learned by doing this.

    To upgrade your persistant directory isn't a good idea just by copying the entire drive and then running Knoppix 3.4. It doesn't get all the files that need to be upgraded and I guess there are a few files that are in different locations.

    So here's what I have and what I did.

    1st I was not logged onto my home directory. In other words, the system was not booted with a home=... command. It was started with the "knoppix 2" command.

    I have two actual hard drives in a computer that were formatted with ext2 fs. Mostly interested in the second drive. So I put my data backup on it. So here is what I did...

    mkdir /mnt/xx
    mkdir /mnt/yy
    losetup -e aes256 /dev/loop1 /dev/sda1
    ...(needed if you used encryption)
    mount /dev/loop1 /mnt/yy
    ...(change loop1 to /dev/sda1 or whatever your drive is if you didn't use encryption)
    mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt/xx
    ...(this is a second partition on the second HD)
    tar -cvvzf /mnt/xx/k33.tar.gz /mnt/yy
    ...(this backs up your home dir)

    now you need to reboot without any command parameters
    once in the KDE make a new persistant directory
    it will format that chip/drive again and make all new directories

    then reboot again with the knoppix home=/dev/sda1 (or whatever you use) to get back into your persist mode.
    then open the Utilities>Ark program and open your saved file (k33.tar.gz) (after mounting that drive of course)

    You will need to select ranges of files to copy back to your chip/drive like all your personal files and the .mozilla directory. they will be placed into a directory under your home directory like /mnt/yy/../../
    you will then need to move these directories to their proper location with the file manager. You can erase the newly created .mozilla directory before you start. Once your old .mozilla and other directories are where they need to be, just reboot and operate as normal. You'll have to re-setup printers and color schemes and so forth but the mozilla email and newsgroups and bookmarks are the killers for me. Plus any document's that I created.

    Just in case you didn't know... in conquerer you can see hidden files and folders by going to "view>show hidden files".

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Thanks for the help, I guess i'll have to recreat by home.
    But the only thing that bothers me is I don't know what files to bring over. The one i created are in for sure but what do I need to do to transfer my added fonts or scores and settings. But I don't know what files they are or where they are. S

    Sigh...

Similar Threads

  1. 3.8 persistent home directory
    By ddrex in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 07:52 PM
  2. Persistent Home with PMI problem
    By Serow225 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 04:36 AM
  3. Persistent Home Directory
    By Dooley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 08:43 PM
  4. Persistent Home: Where's all my space?
    By ahfoo in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 06:33 PM
  5. Question about persistent home
    By arkaine23 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



lOT OF 4 SKhynix 8GB (4 x 8GB =32GB) HMA41GR7MFR8N-TF 2R8 PC4-2133P DDR4 MEMORY picture

lOT OF 4 SKhynix 8GB (4 x 8GB =32GB) HMA41GR7MFR8N-TF 2R8 PC4-2133P DDR4 MEMORY

$89.00



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3 picture

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3

$200.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$151.20



Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64-Bit USB Flash Drive + Key Retail Box - Original picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64-Bit USB Flash Drive + Key Retail Box - Original

$39.88