Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: booted and its slow...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    booted and its slow...

    I boot knoppix 3.4 2004-05-04 and its really really slow I dunno but dont think its the RAM...
    I burned it to a 700MB cd and it loads just dont spin very fast so I think thats the problem its almost as if it has problems finding the data on the cd...
    any help on this whoud be helpfull thank you...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    TanZed,

    I can't speak from experiance on the v3.4, I am currently still running v3.3, but, when I was running v3.3 off the CD, I used a DVD/CD drive, rated, I think, at 24x. It was slow, anytime I asked to do a program, like Frozen-Bubble, or fire off DiskFree, it did take a little time for the drive to spin-up, then access the drive, and finally, load and start the program.

    How fast is the CD drive?

    I can atest though, booting up was quick, surprisingly quick, considering it was all loading off of a 24x DVD drive. I think the boot-up time was comperable to what boot-up time I am getting having the system installed on the hard drive now. (probably due to the fact I have more things "auto-starting" on boot-up on the hard drive install [?])

    Hopefully, this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2
    ok I have a 52x CD and a 24x DVD drive tried em both and same thing it takes 20 min to start mozilla or start the console...
    I have no problems other then that, only some apps wont start at all like XMMS wont start at all beacuse the cd dont spin up and after 4 min it closes on its own...
    I am new to linux tried Red hat 9.0 but coudnt get on the internet with it...
    thank I will try to go exactly by the FAQ guide this time and if it dont work I will ask again what the problem might be...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Yikes

    Minutes? Mine never took minutes, maybe 1/2 minutes, but never more than, say, 30 seconds. I think the drive is fine, since you have tried it on more than one, and get the same results.

    This could come down to your system, and what you have in it...

    Processor speed, and type, amount of RAM, swap disk (if any, and how large), stuff... I ran Knoppix off two systems, one was a 433MHz with 312 M RAM, and the other being a 1.7GHz with 512 M RAM. My system was not that (notably) slower using the "older" system, only problem was with some "video intensive" games, the video card was a speed issue, but the systems performed about the same as far as booting, and starting up programs.

    I wouldn't count out the video either... Is the video running off main memory, as in, your video is on the motherboard, or do you have a seperate video card and memory installed on the system? My system was slower with I used the "shared" memory of a "on motherboard" video, and then installed an actual video card with its own memory.

    Hope this helps, and good luck,
    Ms. Cuddles

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    It only occurs for several apps?
    Maybee the disk is damaged?

    Or is every bigger program slow?
    Perhaps some buggy acpi, trying to save some power and to shut down the drive, while accessing it?

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    66
    If you havent cleaned the Drive, or check for Smuges/scratches on the disk, you may want to. Can't tell you how many data errors I have had due to Dust and other Stuff that has impared my drive head.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Bedfordshire, South-east England
    Posts
    5

    Older Machines

    Even my computer does not take that long to load programs when running from CD. Spec:
    o P133 MHz
    o 80Mb RAM (500Mb Swap)
    o 2x 4.3Gb Hdd (One has Windows, other is not used for OS)
    o Cirrus Logic 5446PCI on-board chip w/2Mb VRAM

    I think that the CD-ROM drive is a 16x drive (used SiSoft Sandra and it reported this figure, although there is no label on the device ==> Compaq CRD-8161B)

    It does seem strange that it is taking so long to start programs.

    Paul.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 10:43 PM
  2. getting booted from java sites?
    By nachral in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 04:33 AM
  3. ejecting the CDrom I booted off of
    By doogie in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 10:02 PM
  4. Way to alter files in etc when booted from CD
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2003, 11:23 PM
  5. remastering while booted from harddrive
    By John in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2003, 07:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99