Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4

    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

    HI all,

    Just installed 3.4 on HD (Debian mode).
    Using my user account from a shell, I can open nedit, kwrite or any xwin app.
    But when I try to open the same apps from the same shell as su
    I got the following errors:
    Code:
    Manu@Knoppix34:~$ su
    Password:
    root@Knoppix34:/home/Manu# nedit
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified
    NEdit: Can't open display
    root@Knoppix34:/home/Manu#

    Any suggestions !

    Tks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    There's probably better ways to do this but this should work:
    ln -s /home/Manu/.Xauthority /root/.Xauthority
    AFAIK the error is due to xserver only allowing one connection at a time which isn't a bad thing.

    EDIT: Do first as root:
    Code:
    cd ~
    mv .Xauthority .XauthorityOLD
    That way you can get the old file back if it doesn't work.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4
    Thanks a lot. That worked

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1
    Hi,
    I've just gone through the same process, intalling 3.4 in HD, and had the same problem. I've fixed it as indicated, but I believe the limitation of allowing only one user connection to the xserver is not a very practical one. It is very often the case you need root privileges whilst being and ordinary user. Sudo will do that, but I find a new shell as root being more flexible.
    I come from Red Hat, this is my first contact with Knoppix(and Debian), and while it's worked out of the box, I find that limitation a bit too restricting (and very little documented, being such an every day taks).
    The solution given works, but as suggested I believe it is very precarious. Is there no "nicer" way of doing these things?
    Ta
    Jaime

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    I'm relatively new in linux and also encountered this. I found out you could do (in case of LeManu), as user:
    'kdesu nedit'
    after you type in your root pwd. you automaticaly enter nedit.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Yes well, this workaround was actually for using a root shell which I prefer. As I said there's bound to be a better solution but I was too lazy to google for it as this works.
    I don't really know why this was changed other than improving security so that if someone hacks into your computer they can't run things on your desktop.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    16

    The same problem but no file

    I have the same problem BUT i don't have .Xauthority file at my HD!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: The same problem but no file

    Quote Originally Posted by Bleim
    I have the same problem BUT i don't have .Xauthority file at my HD!
    Is this a debian style install?
    If yes do as user:
    Code:
    cd ~
    ls -la .Xauthority
    The file is hidden so you need the "a" when listing.

    For a knoppix style install I can't help, never done it.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    16
    sorry, I forgot say that I have beginner debian instalation on HD (i don't know what's the diferrence between beginer and clasical debian mode), but I have the same problem!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    AFAIK beginner or knoppix style install basically copies over the files from cd to hd and uses lilo or grub to boot it. So that on each boot you get hardware autodetection etc. A debian style gets you an easy way to get a real debian OS with a real easy installer, a few odd scripts are different like sysvinit. But as I said, I've never done a beginner or knoppix install so I might be way off base here.
    You can still look for the .Xauthority file, search with find, whereis or "locate .Xauthority". If you get "database more than 8 days old" do as root "updatedb".

Similar Threads

  1. "Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Mobile Connection" with Knop
    By jasperlevink in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 10:59 PM
  2. vncserver: connection to "Knoppix:1.0" refused by
    By hugo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:14 AM
  3. "Connection Reset by Peer" or "hang"
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
  4. Xlib: extension "XFree86-VidModeExtension" missin
    By TheCyberDude in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 11:34 PM
  5. Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display "lo
    By derjens in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray

$356.80



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99