Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: RAID)the kernel does not support underlying device inquiries

  1. #1

    RAID)the kernel does not support underlying device inquiries

    I am installing KNOPPIX and get passed the file copy part, then on the next portion of the install I get to around 80% complete (sometime after it installs all the kernel shit or whatever) I get these errors all over the screen:

    "Warning: (ATAraid) the kernel does not support underlying device inquiries."

    "Underlying drive /dev/ataraid/d0 must be marked inaccessible"


    When installing, Lilo attemps to asign a new Volume ID (based on these errors I would assume it's trying to do something with my RAID drives) but can't change on Windows NT,2000, or XP drives--my RAID drives are NTFS.

    Ok, so it doesn't like my RAID drives or something? I boot knoppix from the cd and it reads all my drives fine, even RAID (a lot better than XP does). So what the hell is wrong with this?

    I tried every different install type and I get the same. By the way, I do the knoppix-installer method, it seems easiest for the average linux beginner. I would really love to get linux going, so any help I would love you long time.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    U.P., MI, USA
    Posts
    35

    Re: RAID)the kernel does not support underlying device inqui

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Young & Crazy Ho
    I am installing KNOPPIX and get passed the file copy part, then on the next portion of the install I get to around 80% complete (sometime after it installs all the kernel shit or whatever) I get these errors all over the screen:

    "Warning: (ATAraid) the kernel does not support underlying device inquiries."

    "Underlying drive /dev/ataraid/d0 must be marked inaccessible"


    When installing, Lilo attemps to asign a new Volume ID (based on these errors I would assume it's trying to do something with my RAID drives) but can't change on Windows NT,2000, or XP drives--my RAID drives are NTFS.

    Ok, so it doesn't like my RAID drives or something? I boot knoppix from the cd and it reads all my drives fine, even RAID (a lot better than XP does). So what the hell is wrong with this?

    I tried every different install type and I get the same. By the way, I do the knoppix-installer method, it seems easiest for the average linux beginner. I would really love to get linux going, so any help I would love you long time.
    Yah, hey dere!

    I'm a newbie, too, so I'm afraid I can't offer as much help as I'd like - but, I'm working on learning. I see that it's been over a month since you posted, w/o anybody replying - so, here's a reply. It took me 3 tries to get a HD install. The time it succeeded was after wiping the HD to start w/ a blank slate. This included partitioning using cfdisk, then changing partition type using QPARTED (to ex3) from within a CD session - then, proceeding w/ install. If you can manage it, it might be worth trying to get a 2nd computer for experimenting & learning on. (The one I'm working w/ is like that.) I do know that Debian has big problems w/ NTFS, so the presence of that file system could be a major stumbling block. Having a separate machine devoted to Linux would get around that issue. I don't know what RAID is or does - so, sorry I can't be helpful there. Good luck!

    Scruffy
    http://scruffyeagle.com

Similar Threads

  1. Raid 0 device disapearing
    By Kalen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 06:52 AM
  2. Raid Support?
    By danwifi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 05:42 PM
  3. SATA RAID support in 3.4
    By mzruya in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 07:57 PM
  4. SATA RAID Support
    By poopyman67 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 04:40 PM
  5. Onboard RAID support
    By Repzilon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2003, 12:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$163.49



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Force Gaming Motherboard picture

MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Force Gaming Motherboard

$180.00



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00