-
RAID)the kernel does not support underlying device inquiries
I am installing KNOPPIX and get passed the file copy part, then on the next portion of the install I get to around 80% complete (sometime after it installs all the kernel shit or whatever) I get these errors all over the screen:
"Warning: (ATAraid) the kernel does not support underlying device inquiries."
"Underlying drive /dev/ataraid/d0 must be marked inaccessible"
When installing, Lilo attemps to asign a new Volume ID (based on these errors I would assume it's trying to do something with my RAID drives) but can't change on Windows NT,2000, or XP drives--my RAID drives are NTFS.
Ok, so it doesn't like my RAID drives or something? I boot knoppix from the cd and it reads all my drives fine, even RAID (a lot better than XP does). So what the hell is wrong with this?
I tried every different install type and I get the same. By the way, I do the knoppix-installer method, it seems easiest for the average linux beginner. I would really love to get linux going, so any help I would love you long time.
-
Re: RAID)the kernel does not support underlying device inqui

Originally Posted by
Neil Young & Crazy Ho
I am installing KNOPPIX and get passed the file copy part, then on the next portion of the install I get to around 80% complete (sometime after it installs all the kernel shit or whatever) I get these errors all over the screen:
"Warning: (ATAraid) the kernel does not support underlying device inquiries."
"Underlying drive /dev/ataraid/d0 must be marked inaccessible"
When installing, Lilo attemps to asign a new Volume ID (based on these errors I would assume it's trying to do something with my RAID drives) but can't change on Windows NT,2000, or XP drives--my RAID drives are NTFS.
Ok, so it doesn't like my RAID drives or something? I boot knoppix from the cd and it reads all my drives fine, even RAID (a lot better than XP does). So what the hell is wrong with this?
I tried every different install type and I get the same. By the way, I do the knoppix-installer method, it seems easiest for the average linux beginner. I would really love to get linux going, so any help I would love you long time.
Yah, hey dere!
I'm a newbie, too, so I'm afraid I can't offer as much help as I'd like - but, I'm working on learning. I see that it's been over a month since you posted, w/o anybody replying - so, here's a reply. It took me 3 tries to get a HD install. The time it succeeded was after wiping the HD to start w/ a blank slate. This included partitioning using cfdisk, then changing partition type using QPARTED (to ex3) from within a CD session - then, proceeding w/ install. If you can manage it, it might be worth trying to get a 2nd computer for experimenting & learning on. (The one I'm working w/ is like that.) I do know that Debian has big problems w/ NTFS, so the presence of that file system could be a major stumbling block. Having a separate machine devoted to Linux would get around that issue. I don't know what RAID is or does - so, sorry I can't be helpful there. Good luck!
Scruffy
http://scruffyeagle.com
Similar Threads
-
By Kalen in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-21-2005, 06:52 AM
-
By danwifi in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-18-2004, 05:42 PM
-
By mzruya in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-06-2004, 07:57 PM
-
By poopyman67 in forum Ideas
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-11-2004, 04:40 PM
-
By Repzilon in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-16-2003, 12:40 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Corsair 760T, ASUS X99a-ii, i7-6800k, 16GB RAM, 1080GPU, 256GB SSD #21
$300.00

CPU-RAM-MOBO COMBO- 32gb DDR4 3600MHz, i5 CPU, Asus Prime Motherboard
$370.00

HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P
$319.99

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$74.99

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Desktop Processor (3.7GHz, 6 Cores, AM4 CPU) 100-100000065
$125.00

Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor
$259.99

Intel Core i5-14400F Desktop Processor 10 cores LGA 1700 SRN47
$145.00

Intel Core i5-9500 CPU 3.00GHz Desktop Processor (SRF4B)
$50.00