Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: dd imaging problems...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1

    dd imaging problems...

    ok I followed the guide in the docs on how to dump an image of a drive to a remote window share. I've got two problems. One, when dumping the image I cannot create a file over 2gb. The machine I am dumping to is runnin xp pro and using ntfs. I know that it can handle files over 2gb. Secondly, if somehow I can make one large image how can I open that image on any windows machine and extract data out of it? I am trying to find a replacement for symantec ghost and I would think using knoppix I could accomplish this task. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

    JohnB

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    There was another post in here about using "dd" to image a hard disk to a remote share where the poster also ran into a wall at 2GB. They were saving it to a FAT32 partition, which has a filesize limitation of ~4GB. The generally accepted answer given was that they'd run into a FAT32 filesize limitation, which I think is incorrect.

    Googling didn't provide a definitive answer, but there were some links that said the ext2 file system has a 2GB limitation, and other links that said that limitation was a thing of the past. So my guess is that either:
    • dd is writing a temporary file to your Linux system, and that's where you're running into a 2GB limit; or
    • It has something to do with the networking software.

    It would be very interesting to know the "right" answer.

    As far as the Windows side goes, take a look at WinImage. It's really meant for floppy images and the like, but it may be able to open your saved drive image.

Similar Threads

  1. Disk imaging
    By sn7 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 06:56 PM
  2. PXE Boot -> automated client imaging
    By Hotshot22 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 02:42 PM
  3. Imaging hard drive mistake
    By remya in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 06:18 AM
  4. Drive Imaging
    By rkebo in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 04:44 AM
  5. Drive Imaging
    By asjones in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2003, 12:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00