Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: CAN LINUX DAMAGE LCD?????

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    23

    CAN LINUX DAMAGE LCD?????

    Hi

    I'm using knoppix (dual boot with windows) on my new acer 1501lmi but pratically I use always linux.
    After 3 weeks my lcd shown strange vertical lines (may be pixels damaged I don't know); I sent my laptop to acer assistance and they changed the lcd.
    Today (after 2 weeks of work), lcd has the same problem.
    Someone told me that the first version of Mandrake 9.1 damaged some cdroms (solved with new iso) thus I have a question:

    In your opinion, can Linux damage hardware? In particular lcd?
    This is important because I suspect that if acer will understand that I installed linux, could revoce guarantee; in fact before to send still my notebook to the assistance, I want to format my hd

    Thanks
    Marco R.
    Italy


  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    72
    The CD thing was some BIOS issue.

    As far as killing video? Possibly.
    I read one message on these boards where someone's monitor died because the refresh rate was maxed out.

    if you look at the cheatcodes, you could set it to a 50 hz refresh rate which should be safe.

    edit... I just noticed that the new KDE taskbar shows a 'screen properties' icon, next to the clock. (knoppix 3.4) so you can change your refresh rate, resolution, etc.

    hey.. look.. multimonitor support!

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    23

    lcd damaged by linux

    Hi softwaretester

    thanks for your reply.
    I Thought the same...
    I will try to set 50 hz refresh.


    thanks

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    72
    typo... 60 hz.

Similar Threads

  1. linux to linux shares
    By realpc in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 04:55 PM
  2. Able to dual boot XP and linux but Linux goes to GRUB, help
    By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
  3. Printing: XP to Linux or Linux to XP
    By mpeden in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 12:09 AM
  4. CAN LINUX DAMAGE LCD????
    By terminator in forum Laptops
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 02:49 AM
  5. Dizinha Linux, New project for "Small" Linux
    By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16

$159.99



(LOT of 8) Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12 DDR4 Cisco Server RAM Tested 100% picture

(LOT of 8) Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12 DDR4 Cisco Server RAM Tested 100%

$1299.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S  2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory picture

16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S 2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory

$27.95



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module

$29.25



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) RAM DDR4 3000MHz CMK32GX4M4C3000C15 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) RAM DDR4 3000MHz CMK32GX4M4C3000C15

$139.99



8GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM Upgrade Kit (2x4GB) for MacBook, iMac, Mac Mini - 1067MHz/10 picture

8GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM Upgrade Kit (2x4GB) for MacBook, iMac, Mac Mini - 1067MHz/10

$50.99