-
Junior Member
registered user
CAN LINUX DAMAGE LCD????
Hi
I'm using knoppix (dual boot with windows) on my new acer 1501lmi but pratically I use always linux.
After 3 weeks my lcd shown strange vertical lines (may be pixels damaged I don't know); I sent my laptop to acer assistance and they changed the lcd.
Today (after 2 weeks of work), lcd has the same problem.
Someone told me that the first version of Mandrake 9.1 damaged some cdroms (solved with new iso) thus I have a question:
In your opinion, can Linux damage hardware? In particular lcd?
This is important because I suspect that if acer will understand that I installed linux, could revoce guarantee; in fact before to send still my notebook to the assistance, I want to format my hd
Thanks
Marco R.
Italy
-
Junior Member
registered user
While nothing is impossible all I can say is I have been running Linux since 1994 have used it on many laptops starting with a 386 and I have yet to see any damage on an LCD. I did a google search and the only mention I could find was your post here so I don't think the problem is Linux.
-
Junior Member
registered user
linux and lcd damaged
Hi
tekmate.
I agree perfectly with you. I had need of another opinion before to send my notebook to the assistance.
Hovewer is incredible that hardware vendors like acer declare:
OUR GUARANTEE IS VALID ONLY WITH THE OPERATING SYSTEM PROVIDED WITH YOUR NOTEBOOK.
I asked to the acer helpdesk (by phone) some explanations and they told me: if you install Linux acer can to refuse the assistance. The nice girl suggested to me to erase completely my he before to send notebook to the assistance.
I hope that something will change in the future.
Thanks
marco
-
lol
thanks for the tip
this has to be some vendor fearless attempting to force us to buy laptop with windoz licences
-
It could be a common fault with that particular laptop, when some
component fails etc.
-
Hi...
I don't want to give you bad news but I think the problem of your LCD is the same than mine and my brother.
We both have acrer laptops and mine LCD was already replaced 4 times in less than a year and my brother's LCD was replaced once.
So i think the problem of the LCD's is being ACER
-
Senior Member
registered user
I would like to suggest the possibility of a lighting strike killing the screen. My friend lost a few modems and a screen due to a lighting strike the other day.
johnb
-
A friend of mine lost an acer screen in a similar way for no obvious reason, but he was running WinXP.
He was running a diffrent model, bout could be a common fault.
I would aggrey that it is likley a problem with the Acer hardware.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: CAN LINUX DAMAGE LCD????

Originally Posted by
terminator
Hi
I'm using knoppix (dual boot with windows) on my new acer 1501lmi but pratically I use always linux.
After 3 weeks my lcd shown strange vertical lines (may be pixels damaged I don't know); I sent my laptop to acer assistance and they changed the lcd.
Today (after 2 weeks of work), lcd has the same problem.
Someone told me that the first version of Mandrake 9.1 damaged some cdroms (solved with new iso) thus I have a question:
In your opinion, can Linux damage hardware? In particular lcd?
This is important because I suspect that if acer will understand that I installed linux, could revoce guarantee; in fact before to send still my notebook to the assistance, I want to format my hd
Thanks
Marco R.
Italy

I guess I haven't been paying enough attention to this forum! Probably here is your solution, it's in the video setup, not damage to your monitor:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...880&highlight=
Similar Threads
-
By realpc in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-15-2005, 04:55 PM
-
By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
-
By mpeden in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-11-2004, 12:09 AM
-
By terminator in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-14-2004, 07:12 PM
-
By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Intel Xeon W-2245 3.90Ghz 8 Core 16.5MB CPU Processor SRH02
$140.00

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99