Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Recovering NTFS partition (Newbie)

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13

    Recovering NTFS partition (Newbie)

    I want to recover some data from a corrupted NTFS partition which has Windows XP Pro (among other things) installed on it.

    Knoppix/Konquerer "sees" only a FAT (plain FAT, not FAT32) partition on the disk which I imagine is the XP recovery consol. I do not need to preserve this partition or the files in it.

    How do I make Knoppix "see" the NTFS partition?

    I realize Knoppix won't write to an NTFS partition. I have another, working hard disk formatted FAT32 with enough space to take the data I need to recover.

    Many thanks in advance for suggestions. I have no previous experience of Linux/Knoppix.

    David

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Well I have no idea about Konqueror but I would personally just do this:

    fdisk -l /dev/hda

    OR

    fdisk -l /dev/hdb

    or where ever your drive is. Then, you *should* be able to mount it.

    mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2

    If /mnt/hda2 doesn't exist simply mount it somewhere else. Anywhere will do.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692

    Re: Recovering NTFS partition (Newbie)

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidsa
    I want to recover some data from a corrupted NTFS partition which has Windows XP Pro (among other things) installed on it.

    Knoppix/Konquerer "sees" only a FAT (plain FAT, not FAT32) partition on the disk which I imagine is the XP recovery consol. I do not need to preserve this partition or the files in it.

    How do I make Knoppix "see" the NTFS partition?

    I realize Knoppix won't write to an NTFS partition. I have another, working hard disk formatted FAT32 with enough space to take the data I need to recover.

    Many thanks in advance for suggestions. I have no previous experience of Linux/Knoppix.

    David
    By any chance, are you using a program called GoBack?

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=21961#21961

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    If /mnt/hda2 doesn't exist simply mount it somewhere else. Anywhere will do.
    If /mnt/hda2 doesn't exist, call
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/hda2
    mounting it just somewhere will hide that folder, so mounting to /bin will perhaps do, but then you are caught, because 'umount' is hidden (and a lot of importants programs too).

    I guess mzilikazi meant 'anywhere in /mnt/ (i.e.: /mnt/winpartition)' will do.
    Just to prevent unlikely errors...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692

    Re: Recovering NTFS partition (Newbie)

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidsa
    I want to recover some data from a corrupted NTFS partition which has Windows XP Pro (among other things) installed on it.

    Knoppix/Konquerer "sees" only a FAT (plain FAT, not FAT32) partition on the disk which I imagine is the XP recovery consol. I do not need to preserve this partition or the files in it.

    How do I make Knoppix "see" the NTFS partition?

    I realize Knoppix won't write to an NTFS partition. I have another, working hard disk formatted FAT32 with enough space to take the data I need to recover.

    Many thanks in advance for suggestions. I have no previous experience of Linux/Knoppix.

    David
    The following thread:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...887&highlight=
    chronicles my newbie journey through a very similar problem about a year ago, when my Windows would not boot due to a motherboard problem, and I had to back up an NTFS drive onto a second HD before returning the computer for warranty service. Knoppix 3.2 saved me. Back then, K3B did not support my DVD+R/RW drive, and I needed to save some video files which were too large to fit on a CD. If you have the patience to read through it, it might be of help. I will tell you that I've never heard this solution suggested anywhere else, and the copy process took a surprising amount of time to complete.

    Good luck,

    JD

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Well I have no idea about Konqueror but I would personally just do this:

    fdisk -l /dev/hda

    OR

    fdisk -l /dev/hdb

    or where ever your drive is. Then, you *should* be able to mount it.

    mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2

    If /mnt/hda2 doesn't exist simply mount it somewhere else. Anywhere will do.
    Thanks - but when I try this I get an error message something like "Unable to open /dev/hda "

    What am I missing?

    David

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13

    Re: Recovering NTFS partition (Newbie)

    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidsa
    I want to recover some data from a corrupted NTFS partition which has Windows XP Pro (among other things) installed on it.

    Knoppix/Konquerer "sees" only a FAT (plain FAT, not FAT32) partition on the disk which I imagine is the XP recovery consol. I do not need to preserve this partition or the files in it.

    How do I make Knoppix "see" the NTFS partition?

    I realize Knoppix won't write to an NTFS partition. I have another, working hard disk formatted FAT32 with enough space to take the data I need to recover.

    Many thanks in advance for suggestions. I have no previous experience of Linux/Knoppix.

    David
    By any chance, are you using a program called GoBack?

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=21961#21961

    No - Norton Antivirus is on there, but on this drive I have only ever used the other Norton tools from the HD.

    David

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by user unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    If /mnt/hda2 doesn't exist simply mount it somewhere else. Anywhere will do.
    If /mnt/hda2 doesn't exist, call
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/hda2
    mounting it just somewhere will hide that folder, so mounting to /bin will perhaps do, but then you are caught, because 'umount' is hidden (and a lot of importants programs too).

    I guess mzilikazi meant 'anywhere in /mnt/ (i.e.: /mnt/winpartition)' will do.
    Just to prevent unlikely errors...
    Thanks but I haven't got that far yet!

    David

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13

    Re: Recovering NTFS partition (Newbie)

    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidsa
    I want to recover some data from a corrupted NTFS partition which has Windows XP Pro (among other things) installed on it.

    Knoppix/Konquerer "sees" only a FAT (plain FAT, not FAT32) partition on the disk which I imagine is the XP recovery consol. I do not need to preserve this partition or the files in it.

    How do I make Knoppix "see" the NTFS partition?

    I realize Knoppix won't write to an NTFS partition. I have another, working hard disk formatted FAT32 with enough space to take the data I need to recover.

    Many thanks in advance for suggestions. I have no previous experience of Linux/Knoppix.

    David
    The following thread:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...887&highlight=
    chronicles my newbie journey through a very similar problem about a year ago, when my Windows would not boot due to a motherboard problem, and I had to back up an NTFS drive onto a second HD before returning the computer for warranty service. Knoppix 3.2 saved me. Back then, K3B did not support my DVD+R/RW drive, and I needed to save some video files which were too large to fit on a CD. If you have the patience to read through it, it might be of help. I will tell you that I've never heard this solution suggested anywhere else, and the copy process took a surprising amount of time to complete.

    Good luck,

    JD
    Not exactly the same but your experience is indeed relevant and useful

    Thanks

    David

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidsa
    Thanks - but when I try this I get an error message something like "Unable to open /dev/hda "

    What am I missing?

    David
    Try it as root.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Recovering data from NTFS hard drive with Unicode filenames
    By farlight in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 10:45 AM
  2. Recovering ntfs.sys file using Knoppix
    By Tostado in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 04:09 AM
  3. Recovering data from windows partition
    By StryDeR in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 08:00 AM
  4. newbie: Partition Image reliable for NTFS?
    By krikke in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 08:39 PM
  5. Recovering data from NTFS partition ! Help
    By doktor in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 06:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive picture

Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive

$24.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$42.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00