Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Xine problems...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8

    Xine problems...

    Is anyone else having problems using xine with 3.4? I am using it in a harddrive installed 2.6 system and whenever the GUI is displayed it exits out as soon as I put the mouse cursor over it. However, it works without using the gui displayed. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76
    yes i have that problem, but i just use the keyboard hotkeys when needed.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1
    I have the same problem, although only with kernel 2.6. With 2.4 xine works just fine.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    23
    I have (had) the very same issue and my workaround is easy: I installed kaffeine which is a media-player for KDE and it is based on XINE. Works perfectly now with .avi, .mpg, DVD and all.

    To install it simply type "apt-get install kaffeine" in a console (provided your apt-get works and your package lists are updated).

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Glenview, Illinois
    Posts
    72
    I have the exact same problem when booting with 2.6. Also, Kscd doesn't work under 2.6, but both work perfectly when booting 2.4.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Glenview, Illinois
    Posts
    72
    I have the exact same problem when booting with 2.6. Also, Kscd doesn't work under 2.6, but both work perfectly when booting 2.4.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8
    Thanks for the info guys. I am glad that I am not the only one.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1

    Work Around

    I've manged to get Knoppix 3.4 with the 2.6 kernel to run xine. I was getting the same error that you guys are reporting when you hover over the controls. The problem is related to the tool tips that pop up when you hover over the buttons, I couldn't fix the bug in less then 30mins so I just disabled the tooltips in the source code - Instructions below.

    To fix it I removed the default xine installation (apt-get remove xine-ui) and downloaded the latest sources (both xine-lib and xine-ui) from the xine cvs (instructions on their homepage). I opted for the latest source from CVS because I had trouble getting the prepacked source to compile.

    I then compiled and installed xine-lib. Before I compiled xine-ui I modified tips.c (xine-ui/src/xitk/xine-toolkit/tips.c) to disable the tooltips by commenting out the code in the function void xitk_tips_set_tips(xitk_widget_t *w, char *str).


    It should look something like this when you finish (the code is at the bottom of the file)

    void xitk_tips_set_tips(xitk_widget_t *w, char *str) {

    if((w == NULL) || (str == NULL))
    return;

    /*XITK_FREE(w->tips_string);
    w->tips_string = strdup(str);*/

    /* Special GROUP widget case */
    /*if(w->type & WIDGET_GROUP) {
    if((w->type & WIDGET_GROUP_MASK) & WIDGET_GROUP_INTBOX) {
    xitk_widget_t *widget = xitk_intbox_get_input_widget(w);

    xitk_tips_set_tips(widget, str);
    }
    else if((w->type & WIDGET_GROUP_MASK) & WIDGET_GROUP_DOUBLEBOX) {
    xitk_widget_t *widget = xitk_doublebox_get_input_widget(w);

    xitk_tips_set_tips(widget, str);
    }
    else if((w->type & WIDGET_GROUP_MASK) & WIDGET_GROUP_COMBO) {
    xitk_widget_t *widget = xitk_combo_get_label_widget(w);

    xitk_tips_set_tips(widget, str);
    }
    }

    /* No timeout, set it to default */
    /*if(!w->tips_timeout)
    xitk_tips_set_timeout(w, TIPS_TIMEOUT);*/

    }


    After I finished the mod I just compiled and installed xine-ui as normal (make, make install etc). Hope this helps

  9. #9

    Re: Work Around

    Quote Originally Posted by Trev
    I've manged to get Knoppix 3.4 with the 2.6 kernel to run xine. I was getting the same error that you guys are reporting when you
    Thank you very much. As to judge from 15 min of browsing through my videos, your little how-to just worked perfect for me!

    Quote Originally Posted by Trev
    After I finished the mod I just compiled and installed xine-ui as normal (make, make install etc). Hope this helps
    And this happened to result in a small but encouraging personal triumph for me... Being an irregular and still not very convinced Linux user, this was my very first effort to compile a program, and I succeeded (as far as I can say).

    I found concese but easy to understand advice on this website:

    http://www.linux-magazin.de/Artikel/...nsteiger5.html

    Alas, it is in German, but there will be similar websites in other languages as well.

    Nochmals besten Dank und nette Grüße,

    Klaas

Similar Threads

  1. WMA in xine
    By haitower in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-27-2005, 05:39 AM
  2. Xine or Totem ?
    By asearle in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 10:09 AM
  3. OGM in Xine
    By dantheman10110 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 03:56 AM
  4. Xine got better from 3.1 to3.3
    By ignuu2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 09:31 PM
  5. xine problem....
    By abo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2003, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D - Ryzen 7 9000 Series Zen 5 8-Core 4.7 GHz - Socket AM5 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D - Ryzen 7 9000 Series Zen 5 8-Core 4.7 GHz - Socket AM5

$375.00



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151) picture

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)

$189.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core 16-Thread AM4 Desktop CPU Processor 4.8GHz picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core 16-Thread AM4 Desktop CPU Processor 4.8GHz

$189.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



NEW AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core 16-Thread 4.8GHz AM4 Desktop Processor CPU picture

NEW AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core 16-Thread 4.8GHz AM4 Desktop Processor CPU

$422.99