Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Remaster from HD install

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Remaster from HD install

    On Mon Sep 22, 2003, Fabianx posted
    ('News' forum, subject 3.3 changelog):

    >>>Klaus as always prefers the "knoppix-mode", which installs a system, which runs as if you run it from CD. You can even remaster from this system, as "nothing" is changed...
    [endquote]

    Has anyone actually done this?

    I've tried but it's not going well. Other than using a 'Knoppix-install' Feb-04 Knx3.3 on hda5 as a remaster source, I've pretty much followed the method in the Docs How-to. The system also has Mandrake 9.2 on hda8, I've put the remaster iso on hda8. Initially I made the compressed fs from Mandrake but attempting to run it got the same 'Can't find file system' problem Danmak describes in his post. So I remade the compressed fs using Knoppix running from CD but still got the same error.
    Then, since Knx 3.3 has the 'Tohd' & 'FromHD' cheatcodes, I installed 'poorman Knoppix' on hda8. After verifiing that it ran OK, I substituted the remastered-compressed fs for the original. No other changes. Now it finds the fs & runs but I'm getting the following error during boot:

    fsck 1.35-WIP
    fsck.ext2: ls a directory while trying to open /
    /:
    The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem.
    fsck failed. Please repair manually & reboot

    root@console[/]#:

    Then if I try to startx, it is unable to start dcopserver so KDE will not run, although xFCE runs fine.

    I'm beginning to think this may be because of starting from a HD-install.

    Any ideas anyone??

    Incidentally, I'm using the following as a boot procedure for the 'FromHD' install:

    Copied vmlinuz & miniroot.gz from Knoppix to Mandrake /boot, renaming them vmlinuz-knx & miniroot-knx.gz.

    Added a lilo entry:
    # boots Knoppix compressed file system on hda7
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-knx
    label="Knoppix"
    initrd=/boot/miniroot-knx.gz
    append="fromhd=/dev/hda7 apm=power-off"

    No need for boot disk & works like a charm.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    OK, it looks like no one else has tried this. It seems like a good idea, make your remaster from a workable system rather than a 'chroot jail' as tech2k calls it.
    Well, here's a partial answer to my own question FYI to anyone who is interested.

    1) Expect video problems. Once you get the remaster burned, it seems reluctant to read the hardware & properly set itself up on a different machine (particularly video). Not sure why, mkfx86config is still there & seems to work when tried alone but xf86cnfig-4 doesn't update, it stays set for the video on the orignating machine.

    2) The knoppix-installer script & associated files do NOT get copied to the HD when you do a HD install. So, unless you manually find & install them they are not going to be on your remaster. Which means that you cannot do a HD install from your remaster unless you use the old knx-hdinstall script (which doesn't install automounters for floppy & CD, among other shortcomings).

    3) There seems to be other problems with it thinking it has printer modules when it doesn't really. I haven't sorted this out yet, maybe it is just a dodgey remaster.

    Overall, I think the 'chroot' method is going to give better results.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I suppose the chroot method is fine if all you want to do is add or remove a few apps but if you really want to remaster you'll boot into your remastering environment.
    I use the knoppix-type install, boot into it, change it accordingly and then
    compress it and write it. Works flawlessly everytime. No chroot nonsense required! You might like to read this:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3314

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    I suppose the chroot method is fine if all you want to do is add or remove a few apps but if you really want to remaster you'll boot into your remastering environment.
    I use the knoppix-type install, boot into it, change it accordingly and then
    compress it and write it. Works flawlessly everytime. No chroot nonsense required! You might like to read this:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3314
    WARNING: THESE SCRIPTS WILL DESTROY YOUR ENTIRE SYSTEM, MAKE YOUR
    HARDDISK UNREADABLE, YOUR TV WILL EXPLODE, YOU WILL HAVE 7 YEARS OF BAD
    LUCK, YOUR GIRLFRIEND WILL LEAVE YOU, AND THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT
    WILL COME TO A SUDDEN END. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
    Sounds like the theme for a country music song!(grin)

    Are you using these scripts?
    Are you doing something different than I am?

    I would really like to do it this way, it's a lot easier but I seem to have problems as you can see.
    I don't understand why the video problems, when booting the remasterd CD on my laptop mkxf86config runs & properly detects the video card (ati) but doesn't update xf86config-4 which remains set for the video card of the originating machine (i810). With this setting, x won't start so the system retries with VESA. X then starts but video isn't right.
    If I then exit x & manually edit xf86config-4, x starts OK.
    There are other problems, I have upgraded to KDE3.2.2 but ksplash crashes or freezes at "initiating interprocess communications" (KDE still starts more or less OK) but this is not likely due to anything in the remaster process.
    Also, if I boot the remaster Knoppix 2 then try to startx manually, x won't start & ends up with a 'No screens found" error. If I try to edit xf86config before starting x (using 'joe' editor), the editor starts, reads the file then the whole system freezes up.
    I also want to be able to do a HD install from the remaster but 'knoppix-installer' is missing, it doesn't get transferred to the Knoppix-style HD install used for the source. I have tried to just copy it in but that didn't work.
    I've tried 3 remasters with various amounts of changes (one with a bunch of excess removed but still with KDE 3.1, one with the same stuff removed but with complete KDE 3.2, one with a minimal amount of stuff removed but KDE upgraded to 3.2) but all have the same problem so I assumed it must be a result of remastering from HD install.
    Now (as per my new post), I am having problems getting internet (nameserver) connection when trying the chroot method so can't get apt-get to work.

    Any help would be very much appreciated.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Have studied your scripts & I think I see where some of the problems are so I'll have another go at it. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    OK, I have finally got a couple of working remasters starting from 'Knoppix' HD install. My video problem was that I didn't realize XFConfig files had to be deleted on the CD in order to be re-created at boot and if you nuke KDE by doing apt-get remove libarts1', it also nukes knx-installer.
    Many thanks to Mzilikazi for your help.

    I started out doing everything manually then started working with some of the scripts. It appears Mzilikazi's script which he says was based on Charan's originally was based on Klaus' original script, so I've been trying to work my way through Klaus' to understand how it works. I'm not very good at scripting, I have some questions which I will put in another post.

    Thanks again.

Similar Threads

  1. Remaster from HD Install How-To: Comments Please
    By CrashedAgain in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 04:03 PM
  2. Remaster from hd install
    By slackey in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 03:36 AM
  3. Can remaster, but not install the result to the HD...
    By stuart_b in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 12:38 AM
  4. How can I install KDE 3.1.4 into my remaster with KDE 3.1.2
    By Blue in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 10:08 PM
  5. Remaster From HD Install
    By bongski55 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 08:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit picture

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit

$44.99



LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold picture

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold

$749.99



Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is) picture

Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is)

$350.00



Vintage IBM Syst 370 MST Boards Lot Of 5 Heavily Populated IBM 22 Alu Can Chips picture

Vintage IBM Syst 370 MST Boards Lot Of 5 Heavily Populated IBM 22 Alu Can Chips

$89.00



VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE picture

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE

$299.99



IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D picture

IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D

$219.99