did you try pppoeconf?
I have to boot the knoppix 3.4 cd with knoppix no dhcp else it hangs when it times out trying to deal with dhcp.
I've tried everything I know (not much) to connect to the net.
On other distros/live cds I just need to activate the eth0 card as the router/modem takes care of eberything else.
how do i do this in knoppix?
Thanks in advance
did you try pppoeconf?
Thanks for the reply
ppoeconf is not necessary - nothing should need to be set up when connecting via a router/modem.
I just proved this after having an inspiration and plugging the router/modem directly into the PC's ethernet card and connecting to the 'Net immediately with no other action reqd.
When connected to the router/modem through my ethernet switch(home LAN), knoppix's DHCP Broadcast on boot times out.
Ant help re boot options to prevent this please?
Problem now fixed.
Had a moment of lucidity and disconnected cables from ethernet switch for 2nd and 3rd PC (not booted) . Lo and Behold, Knoppix 3.4 booted and gave me instant access to the 'Net.
Reconnected 2 cables and booted Knoppix again - All worked 100%.
Must have been a loosely connected cable at the switch for PC 2 or 3, and even if they were not switched on, Knoppix timed out trying to do a DHCP Broadcast. That's all I can think of given the circumstances.

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$39.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99
TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99
NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99
TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened
$195.00