Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: connection to a printer server via lp ethernet

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    2

    connection to a printer server via lp ethernet

    Hi everybody,
    I tried to connect to my network printer over ethernet (compushack printserver with an HP Laserjet attached to it).
    I entered the IP-address of the printer together with port 515 (lp port, any other port number produces an error message).
    Then I was asked for my printer etc. Everything worked fine, but when I tried to print a testpage, nothing happend.
    You even cannot see the printjob in the queue.
    I use knoppix 3.4, german version, rel. date may 10th.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    How did you print, with lpr?
    Do you use cups as printserver?
    Did you start the printserver (cupsd)?
    Is it running (ps ax | grep cupsd)?
    Did you look into /var/log/cups/ ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    2
    thanks for your quick help:

    A look in the log-directory showed an error file, which told me, that the file system is read only: "Dateisystem ist nur lesbar".

    I [15/May/2004:10:55:18 +0200] Listening to 0:631
    I [15/May/2004:10:55:18 +0200] Loaded configuration file "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf"
    I [15/May/2004:10:55:18 +0200] Configured for up to 100 clients.
    I [15/May/2004:10:55:18 +0200] Allowing up to 100 client connections per host.
    I [15/May/2004:10:55:18 +0200] Full reload is required.
    I [15/May/2004:10:55:21 +0200] LoadPPDs: Read "/etc/cups/ppds.dat", 14 PPDs...
    E [15/May/2004:10:55:21 +0200] LoadPPDs: Unable to write "/etc/cups/ppds.dat" - Das Dateisystem ist nur lesbar
    I [15/May/2004:10:55:21 +0200] Full reload complete.

    I run knoppix from a CD and do not want to install it on my hard drive.
    What I have is a permanent home dir which is mapped to a USB-Stick (dev/sda1). Is there a way to write the file to that device?

    When I try to print a text file, the log shows the following:

    I [15/May/2004:13:01:36 +0200] Job 2 queued on 'Netzdrucker' by 'knoppix'.
    I [15/May/2004:13:01:36 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 14800) for job 2.
    I [15/May/2004:13:01:36 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip (PID 14801) for job 2.
    I [15/May/2004:13:01:36 +0200] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/socket (PID 14802) for job 2.
    E [15/May/2004:13:01:43 +0200] [Job 2] Unable to send print file to printer: Broken pipe
    E [15/May/2004:13:01:47 +0200] PID 14801 stopped with status 9!
    I [15/May/2004:13:01:47 +0200] Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to "debug" to find out more.


    any Ideas??


    Regards

    Rigas

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    a dirty hack would be: move the /etc/cups directory to your usb-stick.
    Then create a symbolic link to the stick:
    ln -s /mnt/usb/cups /etc/cups

    (replace /mnt/usb by the name you use for it, but NOT /dev/... )

    But this might get an issue of space on the stick, and maybee the next errormessage is waiting...

Similar Threads

  1. no connection to internet with a T-Ethernet Modem
    By Lachinger in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 11:41 AM
  2. no internet connection (ethernet) with 3.8/3.9
    By babelbrennt in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 05:09 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 05:57 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 05:33 AM
  5. Printer issues CUPS/Printer Server/OptraE+
    By rec9140 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 05:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, 4.5TB,  (4) HDD,  EXCELLENT COND. picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, 4.5TB, (4) HDD, EXCELLENT COND.

$625.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99