Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: ADSL connection.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3

    ADSL connection.

    I recently downloaded Knoppix and (currently) run it from the live CD, I am greatly satisfied in all things but one, I can't connect to the internet (I am currently using Windows to do so.) I have run every single internet connection setup (just to be sure I wasn't using the wrong one) several times, when prompted I tell it to connect (after the ADSL setup), but Mozilla simply says "host not found" or "cannot find www.google.ca", any advice would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    Double posting is probably not encouraged, but I want to get some more attnetion to this and update it. 1.when I use "pon" it comes up with the mesage "cannot access "/etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider":acess denied" (or something along those lines.) I have typed "chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppoe" so I should be able to do this, no? Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Is there a file dsl-provider?
    Can you cat it?

    cat /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    try
    sudo pon
    or
    sudo pon dsl-provider

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    Well, thanks for all your help, but I tried those and when they didn't work I managed to contact a friend of a friend of mine, turns out Knoppix can't locate my network card. (An Intel pro/100 VE)... So, I guess I can't use the internet and Knoppix. Is there a way to make Knoppix detect it? and if so, how?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    First, I would test for the card with lspci, assuming it is a pci-card; here is my output (reduced to the interesting eth-card:
    Code:
    lspci
    00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    If your card is found, you may look for an matching module with 'lsmod', but perhaps it isn't a module, but build into the kernel. Google for your Intel VE with 'module' - I found something which says the module-name is 'e100' so you could do 'modprobe e100'.

    A third step is to look for it by ifconfig, here is my output:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0
    eth0      Protokoll:Ethernet  Hardware Adresse 01:01:46:5A:9A:1E  
              inet Adresse:192.168.0.3  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Maske:255.255.255.0
              inet6 Adresse: ...
    Is this pc a laptop? than it might be useful to search at
    http://www.linux-laptop.net/ too.

Similar Threads

  1. Logon to ADSL Connection
    By jamesbrown in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 10:23 PM
  2. ADSL connection doesn't run on startup
    By sunpascal in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 04:23 AM
  3. Need help configuring my ADSL connection
    By raananan in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 03:18 PM
  4. ADSL VPN connection (PPTP)
    By assaflavie in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 04:04 PM
  5. How to setup ADSL connection
    By satimis in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 08:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$175.00



Apple Mac Pro Model A1481 Computer 8core Intel Xeon E5 64 GB Storage 500 G2U picture

Apple Mac Pro Model A1481 Computer 8core Intel Xeon E5 64 GB Storage 500 G2U

$189.99



Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 4 - i7 8 Core 32GB 1TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce 3080 Grade B picture

Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 4 - i7 8 Core 32GB 1TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce 3080 Grade B

$897.89



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Desktop CPU Processor 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Desktop CPU Processor 100-100001973WOF

$425.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$69.99



Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS picture

Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS

$199.99



Intel Core i9-9900K 8-Core 3.60GHz LGA1151 CPU Processor SRG19 picture

Intel Core i9-9900K 8-Core 3.60GHz LGA1151 CPU Processor SRG19

$144.99