-
Senior Member
registered user
Hold it guys! I am overwhelmed at your generosity of advice. Perhaps I overstated my knowledge and abilities? I consider myself a computer expert (although I prefer messing with the HW). I was working with Autocode for Pegasus forty odd years ago, then FortranIV, then Basic. I do DOS with the proverbial eyes shut. I have two detailed books on Linux from Sybex and Marcel's. For sixty odd years, I've been able to learn fast - very fast - almost anything. I speak six languages, but Linux is an entirely different ballgame. As a former academic, I strongly disapprove of experts talking amongst themselves - their salaries are paid to disseminate knowledge amongst the masses, not enshrine it in cliquish technospeak.
The bottom line is that that there are ten-thousandfold more putative PC users than there ever will be Unix gurus. They deserve a reliable OS - no servers (gurus), no networks (gurus), few choices, and no barriers to installation, etc. Unlike certain other OSes, though, it has to be bullet-proof.
With the terrific support you two folk offer, I am likely to achieve the objective, evetually, for which I am exceedingly grateful. How many neophytes will not?! How much longer will the gurus continue to shoot themselves in the corporate feet when an amazing opportunity to simplify their offerings and thereby rule the world remains wide open?
Non-IT people have been banging away on this theme for several years now, but the message just doesn't get through! Linus T has given the world a masterpiece, Hr Dr Klaus has brilliantly tailored a CDRom version, the Debian team has created a terrific access system - why haven't the miriads of developers not understood where their own next best chance lies? I'd've thought it would've been enlightened self-interest? There's no merit in trying to sell an OS - the payoff is in job-security and consultancy!
Again, many thanks, Cd and BY; constantly amazed by the helpfullness of contributors in this Forum.
OG.
Similar Threads
-
By BeckBristow in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-30-2004, 01:27 AM
-
By archvile in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 02-28-2004, 03:54 PM
-
By three eyes open in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-03-2003, 05:37 AM
-
By VeeDubb in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-29-2003, 03:02 AM
-
By Lawgick in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 07:45 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99