Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can't get dual boot going

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    35

    Can't get dual boot going

    Hi,
    Initially I had a Linspire (used to be called Lindows) version of linux on my hda1. (Its the first Linux I loaded) .

    The I loaded Knoppix onto hda3. I've been trying to get Lilo to have a Linspire option in the boot menu so I can boot either but every time I try modding lilo.conf I am told that "hda1 does not contain a valid boot signature'.

    I have tried reading the various dual boot posts and procedures but either I don't understand them or I am getting the instructions wrong. (One of the joys of noob-iness!!)

    The machine has only one actual hard drive. Here's how it's partitioned and used;

    hda1 >>>> Linspire (used to be Lindows)
    hda3 >>>> Knoppix
    hda5 >>>> a FAT32 partition for file and data storage
    hda6 >>>> my Linux swap partition.

    Here is the portion of the standard LILO.CONF file from Knoppix. (The rest of it is totally unchanged so I haven't pasted it to save space) You can see where I pasted entried from the other OS.


    # If you have another OS on this machine to boot, you can uncomment the
    # following lines, changing the device name on the 'other' line to
    # where your other OS' partition is.
    #
    # other=/dev/hda4
    # label=HURD
    # restricted
    # alias=3
    other=/dev/hda1
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24
    label=Linspire
    vga=0xf04
    root=/dev/hda1
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.24.gz
    append="mem=nopentium resume=/dev/hda1 resume_block=0x2014"


    Can anyone help? If I have to reload either OS I don't mind.

    Thanks
    Jim

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Perhaps image and initrd need to point to /dev/hda1 too?
    Code:
    image=/mnt/hda1/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24
    initrd=/mnt/hda1/boot/initrd-2.4.24
    I don't use initrd - what is it good for? - so I don't know, whether /mnt or /dev should be the prefix.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Since you don't appear to have a dedicated /boot partition, what you're seeing under /boot when running lindows is not the same directory as /boot under knoppix. Assuming you want to add lindows to your knoppix lilo, you need to refer to /mnt/hda1/boot/somekernel (and similarly for initrd).

    When you've adapted your /etc/lilo.conf, run "lilo -v" and pay attention to possible error messages. Lilo will complain if you refer to unreachable files.

    Initrd stands for "initial root disk" (or somesuch) and is only necessary if your system needs modules that have not been statically included in the kernel in order to boot (eg scsi drivers or reiserfs support...) For most IDE-only systems sticking to ext2/ext3 FS, one can dispense with it.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    35
    Thanks guys.

    I got it wworking.

    Jim

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini
    By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
  2. Dual Boot help
    By Bonster in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 10:52 AM
  3. Dual Boot Knoppix and Windows(Dual Boot)?
    By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
  4. how to setup dual boot
    By tungcit in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2003, 07:37 PM
  5. dual boot
    By senorian in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$250.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC picture

Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC

$73.00