-
n00b needs help moving files
Sorry my first post is one asking for help.
Here is the situation:
I have a neighbor's HP PC which the system restore files are on a 5GB hidden partition (HDA1, NTFS).
I want to reinstall his OS (Win XP home) on the already formatted C:\ (HDA2) after I can recover the files from the hidden partition.
I have temporarily placed a 2nd hard drive in the machine to copy the 4GB of system restore files from HDA1 to HDB5 (the 2nd hard drive, FAT32).
I am running Knoppix Live from the CD.
I opened the console and typed su to logon as root.
Typed the following command to copy all files and folders from HDA1 to HDB5:
cp -R/mnt/hda1/* /mnt/hdb5/
this is what was returned to me:
cp: cannot create regular file '/mnt/hdb5/insert filename here' : Read-only file system
How can I change the permissions so that I can copy all the files from the hidden partition to the 2nd hard drive, WITHOUT destroying the files on the hidden partiton?
and
Is there a simple way to restore the permissions to original after the copy (if the permissions are changed)?
thank you for any help you can provide.
---------
Alan
-
Senior Member
registered user
Do you have the partitions mounted? Did you change hdb5 to read-write mode?
To mount hda1 (NTFS) - as root: mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
To mount hdb5 (FAT32) - as root: mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5
Or mount them and change hdb5 to read-write mode, using the desktop icons.
That's assuming Knoppix created a "/mnt/hdb5" folder when it detected your hardware - if not, you can use any of the unused folders in /mnt as a mountpoint (e.g. replace "/mnt/hdb5" with "/mnt/test").
Not sure what you mean about permissions.
-
Thank you, eco2geek
that worked!
-------
Alan
-
Senior Member
registered user
use to preserver mode, ownership and timestamp!
Similar Threads
-
By Girtych in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-26-2004, 02:56 PM
-
By firebyrd10 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-28-2004, 01:09 AM
-
By liebrand in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 04:28 PM
-
By tha_raptest in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-12-2004, 08:05 PM
-
By kleptophobiac in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 03:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER
$349.99

IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED
$165.00

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC
$1299.00

IBM 02AN553 01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN Internal Server Systems Adapter
$199.99