-
n00b needs help moving files
Sorry my first post is one asking for help.
Here is the situation:
I have a neighbor's HP PC which the system restore files are on a 5GB hidden partition (HDA1, NTFS).
I want to reinstall his OS (Win XP home) on the already formatted C:\ (HDA2) after I can recover the files from the hidden partition.
I have temporarily placed a 2nd hard drive in the machine to copy the 4GB of system restore files from HDA1 to HDB5 (the 2nd hard drive, FAT32).
I am running Knoppix Live from the CD.
I opened the console and typed su to logon as root.
Typed the following command to copy all files and folders from HDA1 to HDB5:
cp -R/mnt/hda1/* /mnt/hdb5/
this is what was returned to me:
cp: cannot create regular file '/mnt/hdb5/insert filename here' : Read-only file system
How can I change the permissions so that I can copy all the files from the hidden partition to the 2nd hard drive, WITHOUT destroying the files on the hidden partiton?
and
Is there a simple way to restore the permissions to original after the copy (if the permissions are changed)?
thank you for any help you can provide.
---------
Alan
Similar Threads
-
By Girtych in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-26-2004, 02:56 PM
-
By firebyrd10 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-28-2004, 01:09 AM
-
By liebrand in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 04:28 PM
-
By tha_raptest in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-12-2004, 08:05 PM
-
By kleptophobiac in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 03:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"
$16.00

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good
$20.59

Lot Of Apple Cords And Accessories All OEM Genuine Apple Pencil, Magsafe Power
$109.99

Genuine/OEM Apple Duckhead Two-Prong Plug - MagSafe AC Wall Adapter - Set of 25
$32.29

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466
$19.99

OEM Genuine For Apple MacBook Air Magsafe 2 45W Power Adapter Charger A1436 NEW
$26.79

Genuine OEM Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter A1344 ~ FREE S/H
$12.99

Genuine OEM Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable for MacBook Pro Air
$8.99

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A
$10.99

Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air
$419.59