Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Help: NO DIALTONE on lucent winmodem

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4

    Help: NO DIALTONE on lucent winmodem

    Hi,
    I have been masochistically attempting to get my lucent winmodem working with a HD install of Knoppix 3.3/4 (I believe it is a prerelease version of 3.4, more similar to 3.3 than anything else).

    I have read funkea's advice in the thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2050 but am still having problems.

    I have done the following:
    1) Downloaded and unzipped ltmodem-8.26a9.tar.gz into /tmp
    2) Run ./build_module, then recompiled the source using gcc-2.95 when I got complaints about the gcc version.
    3) Performed the commands:
    mknod /dev/ttyLT0 c 62 64
    chmod a+rw /dev/ttyLT0
    ln -sf /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/modem
    insmod -f lt_modem.o
    insmod -f lt_serial.o

    Everything seems to work OK, and when I run KPPP and attempt to connect the log window even displays the correct commands and responses to/from the modem: ie: "ATZ / OK" etc.

    However, after the actual dial attempt (ie "ATDT12345678"), it always comes back with a NO DIALTONE response, and there is no evidence that the modem was used at all.

    So, questions:
    1) Are the responses from the modem script generated by the modem itself, or the drivers that I installed? (in which case there is no evidence that the modem has been detected or used at all).
    2) How do I get it to work?


    (Supporting info - scanmodem provided the following output
    11c1:048c PCI bus PCI_ID with vendor component: 11c1
    11c1:044c and Subsystem PCI_ID with vendor: 11c1

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    The response (OK) is from the modem.
    And 'no dialtone' too. Else you get an answer like 'no modem found'.

    In the kppp - configuration, there is a section modem/ query modem where you may test it too.

    Unfortunately I cannot help you any further.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for that, at least I know that the modem is semi-usable.

    Query Modem works fine for /dev/modem.

    The modem itself is actually an Agere winmodem, but I was informed that the lucent drivers should work with it. Query Modem returns text identifying it as an ltmodem, which made me suspicious that possibly the text was being returned by the drivers I installed and not the modem itself.

    The NO DIALTONE response remains a mystery.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4
    OK, so here is my last attempt to get this working!

    I haev compiled all the info I can get my greedy mits on, for the viewing pleasure of anyone who thinks they might be able to help.

    For starters, the driver package I downloaded was ltmodem-8.26a9.tar.gz

    Query Modem in kppp returns:

    Code:
    ATI : V.92 Data+Fax Modem Version 8.26a
    ATI1: 00
    ATI2:
    ATI3: V.92 Data+Fax Modem Version 8.26a
    ATI4: 0
    ATI5: 8.26a,0,19,11C1,0440,11C1,044C
    When I attempt to dial, the log window in kppp displays:

    Code:
    ATZ
    OK
    ATM1L3
    OK
    ATDT82109044
    NO DIALTONE
    scanmodem reports (in ModemData.txt):

    Code:
    00:0a.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics: Unknown device 048c (rev 02)
    00:10.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 04)
    -------------------------------------
    Reading more detail for the Device at:
    PCI bus
    -------
    00:0a.0 Class 0780: 11c1:048c (rev 02)
              Subsystem 11c1:044c
    00:0a.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics: Unknown device 048c (rev 02)
    	Subsystem: Lucent Microelectronics: Unknown device 044c
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
    	Memory at da002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    	I/O ports at e000 [size=8]
    	I/O ports at e400 [size=256]
    	Capabilities: <available only to root>
    
    -------------------------------------------------------
     11c1:048c  PCI bus PCI_ID with vendor component: 11c1
     11c1:044c  and Subsystem PCI_ID with vendor:     11c1
    -------------------------------------------------------
    I run the following script to set up the modem:
    Code:
     cd /home/knoppix/tmp
     mknod /dev/ttyLT0 c 62 64
     chmod a+rw /dev/ttyLT0
     ln -sf /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/modem
     insmod -f lt_modem.o
     insmod -f lt_serial.o
    I have set up /etc/modules.conf as follows to try and fix it, with no luck:
    Code:
    options lt_modem vendor_id=0x11c1 device_id=0x048c
    options lt_modem Forced=10,0x02000,0x020ff,0
    and finally, the setserial and /proc/interrupts report:

    Code:
    #setserial -agv /dev/modem
    
    /dev/modem, Line 0, UART: undefined, Port: 0xe400, IRQ: 10
            Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
            closing_wait: 3000
            Flags: spd_normal skip_test
    
    
    #cat /proc/interrupts
    
               CPU0
      0:      81983          XT-PIC  timer
      1:        782          XT-PIC  keyboard
      2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
      5:          0          XT-PIC  usb-ohci
      8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
      9:          0          XT-PIC  usb-ohci
     10:        319          XT-PIC  es1371
     12:      69873          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
     14:      22939          XT-PIC  ide0
     15:          4          XT-PIC  ide1
    NMI:          0
    LOC:      81943
    ERR:          0
    MIS:          0
    (I believe es1371 is the modem, as it appears to double as the Ensoniq soundcard)

    So.... can anyone shed any more light on my problem?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    I think you should insert some AT commands about your country origine.
    Indeed ,phone electrical properties may differ from country to country .
    With this string you tell the modem to search and wtach the phone line entrance for a certain voltage (for example 24V to 48V for Belgium).
    Even on some windrivers with some winmodems this phenomena occurs and you have the add supplementary initialisation strings.

    Hope this'll help ...

    Greetzzzz

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    And you could try to rmmod the sound-modules, while using the modem, when it claims the same IRQ.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4
    Hi again,
    I did some mild tinkering with modem initialisation as well, but it was alot of groping-in-the-dark type stuff.
    I have also tried removing the sound module, but met with no success.

    I think this one is getting filed under "W" for "winmodems suck".

    I have since received a shiny new external modem which was detected immediately and worked first time.

Similar Threads

  1. Lucent Winmodem For A Hdd Install I Did
    By \/\/inblowz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 09:52 PM
  2. Lucent Winmodem For A Hdd Install I Did
    By \/\/inblowz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 09:40 PM
  3. lucent winmodem on knoppix 3.3
    By Skytos in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 12:00 AM
  4. Lucent Winmodem may work with KNOPPIX
    By funkea in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 04:15 PM
  5. Lucent WinModem v.90 not working!!!
    By knoppix_br in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2003, 11:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Intel X710-DA4 4-Port 10Gb SFP+ Ethernet Adapter EX710DA4G1P5 w/ SFPs picture

Intel X710-DA4 4-Port 10Gb SFP+ Ethernet Adapter EX710DA4G1P5 w/ SFPs

$250.00



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99