Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: I get a GUI... sometimes

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2

    I get a GUI... sometimes

    Hey guys,

    Completely new to the board, and to linux. I've installed the latest version of knoppix on my pc, and it's great, except for one problem.

    Sometimes when I turn it on, I can log into the GUI system, and other times it is a text based (non-gui) system. It's about 50-50 at the minute. But lately, it's been more frequent that I'm getting non-gui.

    I suspect gfx drivers at some level.

    Does this problem seem familiar to anyone? Anyone know how I'd fix it?

    Some details that may help from linux startup screen:

    video is VOODOO BANSHEE, using XFREE86(tdfx) SERVER
    processor is AMD k6 3d 500

    There's also a line: INIT: Entering runlevel: 5

    It does say that it's starting the kdm desktop manager, but then it just allows me to login via the non-gui interface.

    If there's any more info you need, then let me know. Also, if it involves using commands in linux, could you let me know what commands I need to run to get the necessary info.

    Cheers,

    Jambo

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    Do you have sufficient ram? I.e. at least 96MB.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2
    I have 128mb RAM. It seems to be working again now. I don't know what the problem was. I'll just keep an eye on it.

    Cheers,

    Jambo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


vintage NOS Datacomp DSK119G, ALPS SKCM white, double shot, 90s, 5-pin DIN, rare picture

vintage NOS Datacomp DSK119G, ALPS SKCM white, double shot, 90s, 5-pin DIN, rare

$405.00



Vintage 486 PC Motherboard IBM CPU ISA Cards RAM Novell NetWare 3.12 Computer picture

Vintage 486 PC Motherboard IBM CPU ISA Cards RAM Novell NetWare 3.12 Computer

$249.99



Vintage RaidMax Dirk-Tooth Smilodon Gaming Tower with Hardware-Green LED Lights picture

Vintage RaidMax Dirk-Tooth Smilodon Gaming Tower with Hardware-Green LED Lights

$199.00



VINTAGE Dell Dimension XPS D233-Pentium II-128MB Ram 13.5GB HDD Matrix GFx W98SE picture

VINTAGE Dell Dimension XPS D233-Pentium II-128MB Ram 13.5GB HDD Matrix GFx W98SE

$229.99



Vintage Compaq Deskpro XL 550 Pentium 66 Socket 4 32MB QVision 2000 Win95 picture

Vintage Compaq Deskpro XL 550 Pentium 66 Socket 4 32MB QVision 2000 Win95

$299.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage 1999 Hot Wheels PC USB Keyboard SK-1100U(E) + Speakers Patriot Tested picture

Vintage 1999 Hot Wheels PC USB Keyboard SK-1100U(E) + Speakers Patriot Tested

$145.00



Vintage 1988 Tandy 1000 SL SL/2 Audio / Reset I/O Board P/N 8709867 Rev D picture

Vintage 1988 Tandy 1000 SL SL/2 Audio / Reset I/O Board P/N 8709867 Rev D

$34.77



Vintage 486 VLB Motherboard Combo AMD Am486 DX4-120 SiS 85C471 AMI BIOS SIMM  picture

Vintage 486 VLB Motherboard Combo AMD Am486 DX4-120 SiS 85C471 AMI BIOS SIMM

$149.00



Apple Macintosh SE/30 Vintage All-In-One Desktop Computer Model M5119 picture

Apple Macintosh SE/30 Vintage All-In-One Desktop Computer Model M5119

$292.92