Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: knoppix-installer lost /mnt/cdrom , network probllem.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    31

    knoppix-installer lost /mnt/cdrom , network probllem.

    As I recall I had 3.2 or 3.3 working nicely on the hd with a symbolic link to hdc in /dev, I must be getting stupider as the months go by. This time if I have a cd in the drive and click the link on the desktop, or try to mount it from the command line I get the message "can't seem to find /mnt/cdrom." This was with the easy install and the debian style. My reason for the hd install is to get access to the cd (and dvd) player.

    A problem I have with debian itself these days is after networking is setup (which I don't understand a lot about) if I don't go online during the install process to download updates, I can't get my internet working later. (it connects but no data comes down) Same with the hd install. Again I had that working with knx-installer (I think it was) in the past. Meanwhile with the live knoppix cd it works fine, which I am using right now.

    Also the clock is out by six hours, my system is set to local time.

    David.
    (Australia)

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    31
    I have dtried this about 4 times, with same result. I am using knoppix26
    but have tried different variations.

    It couldn't find /mnt/floppy either.

    David.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    Debian uses /cdrom instead of /mnt/cdrom.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    12

    same problem for me

    I'm getting the same problem. i've got a CD with a bunch of mp3's on it that I was going to listen to.

    in a root shell i tried 'mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom and that didn't work. I did notice that /mnt/cdrom (and /mnt/floppy) is just a symlink to /mnt/auto/cdrom (and /mnt/auto/floppy) which does not actually exist, only /mnt/auto exists.

    When i tried (still as root) to mkdir cdrom inside of /mnt/auto it told me "Permission denied".

    This is happening to me with both the 2.4.26 and the 2.6.5 kernels. I used knoppix-installer to do the hdinstall, with the debian-style installation. I had originally had this working with the 'beginner-style" installation, but i thought that certain things were not how i would have liked them, so I tried the Debian-style installation instead.

    Is this an fstab issue?

    my /etc/fstab:

    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem  mountpoint  type  options  dump  pass
    /dev/hda4  /  ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
    /dev/hda2  /boot  auto  defaults,auto  0  2
    
    proc  /proc  proc  defaults  0  0
    /dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0
    usbdevfs  /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs  defaults  0  0
    sysfs  /sys  sysfs  defaults  0  0
    /dev/dvd /dvd  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda3 none swap defaults 0 0
    anyway, I'm going to continue to beat my brains against this problem until i figure it out, or until i find a thread on a board somewhere that already has...


    --sarge

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: knoppix-installer lost /mnt/cdrom , network probllem.

    Quote Originally Posted by drg55
    As I recall I had 3.2 or 3.3 working nicely on the hd with a symbolic link to hdc in /dev, I must be getting stupider as the months go by. This time if I have a cd in the drive and click the link on the desktop, or try to mount it from the command line I get the message "can't seem to find /mnt/cdrom." This was with the easy install and the debian style. My reason for the hd install is to get access to the cd (and dvd) player.
    OK I keep seeing the same issue over and over again. It really isn't complicated. When you get "can't seem to find /mnt/cdrom." it just telling you that fstab can't mount the drive on the mount point that it has been told to use. THe proper way to mount a drive

    mount /device /mount/point

    EXAMPLE:

    mount /dev/hdb /mnt/hdb

    NOT

    mount /dev/hdb

    Unless fstab has a definition for /dev/hdb you'll never get it mounted. If you want your cdrom drive mounted on /mnt/cdrom then just make the mount point yourself.

    mkdir /mnt/cdrom

    You can mount a drive to any mount point you want as long as the mount point actually exists.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: same problem for me

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRauksauff
    I'm getting the same problem. i've got a CD with a bunch of mp3's on it that I was going to listen to.

    in a root shell i tried 'mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom and that didn't work.
    There's a good reason for that. An audio cd has no filesystem on it. Since you don't actually mount a drive but rather the filesystem there is no way you can mount an audio cd. (well ok I guess there is some plugin for kde??).

    anyway, I'm going to continue to beat my brains against this problem until i figure it out, or until i find a thread on a board somewhere that already has...
    Quit that! You should simply be able to use the cdrom plugin for xmms to listen to your *cough* non-copyrighted material on cd.

Similar Threads

  1. Lost KNOPPIX menu
    By fstephens in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 07:57 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 05:33 AM
  3. knoppix cdrom boot fails on some cdrom players
    By Koga in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2003, 12:07 PM
  4. how to setup the network for cdrom bootup!
    By winglion in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2002, 08:54 AM
  5. Lost Network Card???
    By xetaprime in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-21-2002, 06:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R640  8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU

$315.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99