I have dtried this about 4 times, with same result. I am using knoppix26
but have tried different variations.
It couldn't find /mnt/floppy either.
David.
As I recall I had 3.2 or 3.3 working nicely on the hd with a symbolic link to hdc in /dev, I must be getting stupider as the months go by. This time if I have a cd in the drive and click the link on the desktop, or try to mount it from the command line I get the message "can't seem to find /mnt/cdrom." This was with the easy install and the debian style. My reason for the hd install is to get access to the cd (and dvd) player.
A problem I have with debian itself these days is after networking is setup (which I don't understand a lot about) if I don't go online during the install process to download updates, I can't get my internet working later. (it connects but no data comes down) Same with the hd install. Again I had that working with knx-installer (I think it was) in the past. Meanwhile with the live knoppix cd it works fine, which I am using right now.
Also the clock is out by six hours, my system is set to local time.
David.
(Australia)
I have dtried this about 4 times, with same result. I am using knoppix26
but have tried different variations.
It couldn't find /mnt/floppy either.
David.
Debian uses /cdrom instead of /mnt/cdrom.
I'm getting the same problem. i've got a CD with a bunch of mp3's on it that I was going to listen to.
in a root shell i tried 'mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom and that didn't work. I did notice that /mnt/cdrom (and /mnt/floppy) is just a symlink to /mnt/auto/cdrom (and /mnt/auto/floppy) which does not actually exist, only /mnt/auto exists.
When i tried (still as root) to mkdir cdrom inside of /mnt/auto it told me "Permission denied".
This is happening to me with both the 2.4.26 and the 2.6.5 kernels. I used knoppix-installer to do the hdinstall, with the debian-style installation. I had originally had this working with the 'beginner-style" installation, but i thought that certain things were not how i would have liked them, so I tried the Debian-style installation instead.
Is this an fstab issue?
my /etc/fstab:
anyway, I'm going to continue to beat my brains against this problem until i figure it out, or until i find a thread on a board somewhere that already has...Code:# /etc/fstab: filesystem table. # # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass /dev/hda4 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1 /dev/hda2 /boot auto defaults,auto 0 2 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0 usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0 sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0 /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0 /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0 # Added by KNOPPIX /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0 # Added by KNOPPIX /dev/hda3 none swap defaults 0 0
--sarge
OK I keep seeing the same issue over and over again. It really isn't complicated. When you get "can't seem to find /mnt/cdrom." it just telling you that fstab can't mount the drive on the mount point that it has been told to use. THe proper way to mount a driveOriginally Posted by drg55
mount /device /mount/point
EXAMPLE:
mount /dev/hdb /mnt/hdb
NOT
mount /dev/hdb
Unless fstab has a definition for /dev/hdb you'll never get it mounted. If you want your cdrom drive mounted on /mnt/cdrom then just make the mount point yourself.
mkdir /mnt/cdrom
You can mount a drive to any mount point you want as long as the mount point actually exists.
There's a good reason for that. An audio cd has no filesystem on it. Since you don't actually mount a drive but rather the filesystem there is no way you can mount an audio cd. (well ok I guess there is some plugin for kde??).Originally Posted by SgtRauksauff
Quit that!anyway, I'm going to continue to beat my brains against this problem until i figure it out, or until i find a thread on a board somewhere that already has...![]()
You should simply be able to use the cdrom plugin for xmms to listen to your *cough* non-copyrighted material on cd.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)
$69.95
HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00
(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99