-
Newbie needs help please....
Hello, ive just installed knoppix 3.4 sucsefully onto my hard drive. (my first linux install so please excuse my niavity...)
At first everything was in German. I went to K > Settings > Control Centre > Languages. Ichanged this to English and rebooted.
Everything in the K menu is in english, but Konsole, Gain etc or foriegn, im not even sure if their german, think they might be Check?.
Any help would be appreciated.
I know this has been covered in other posts but im a n00b and get a bit confused. The starnge thing is when booting off the disk using "knoppix lang=en" EVERYTHING was in english.
Im using 3.4. Is a re-install the only way? And if so how do I make 100% sure that all will be in english? Muchos questions I know, any help would be apprectiated.
Thanks.
<edit>
I have magaed to change the language of my konsole to english by edititng /etc/sysconfig/i18n. Problem been when I restart it goes back to the old settings...AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
</edit>
-
Senior Member
registered user
No clue, sorry, but I am still stuck back on v3.3, and in that version, a change made in the Root login through the Control Center, was enough to stick with the languange you picked. But, then again, every user you have had to do the same thing. Interesting what changes I have seen, or heard, were made in the v3.4, some of them don't seem to be "progress", or more likely, why certain things don't work like they used to work anymore, stuff.
Hopefully, someone who is actually running v3.4 can assist on this, until I can get upgraded, I am just going to sit back and learn what I am probably going to have to deal with when I do get to this version....
Ms. Cuddles
-
It sounds like you downloaded the original version that was posted prematurely. I had the same problems with the language. Downloading and installing the updated version solved that.
It also sounds like you installed it in "Beginner" mode. That mode has the bad habit of overwriting some of the changes you may make. I reinstalled in "Debian" mode and I like it much better. Whatever I change stays changed.
Similar Threads
-
By marshalh in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-30-2004, 10:12 AM
-
By ceviz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-04-2004, 02:24 AM
-
By hitokiri007 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-25-2004, 07:56 AM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By nofori in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 10:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$149.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$169.99

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell PowerEdge R740 8B SFF CTO Barebone H330 QP 1GbE NDC 2x 750W PSU No CPU/Mem
$395.00