Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: tty3 respawning too fast.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    tty3 respawning too fast.

    After installing 3.4 to HD, rebooting and logging onto the desktop, I entered ctl-alt-F3 to login on to VC-3.

    I do what ever it is I want to do, even something like entering ps ax to view processes. I logout, and get this error:
    init:"3" Respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

    This is with kernel 2.6.5. , whoever, I had the same problem with Knoppix 3.3.

    I have tried removing /dev/tty3 and remaking it with makedev, but no joy, although I may not have done this correctly.

    any Ideas?

    maxxedout[/u]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    What is 'VC3'?
    The 3rd virtual console?

    I modified my inittab (/etc/inittab) to get the normal 6 consoles:
    Code:
    # Console logins using agetty.
    c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1 linux
    c2:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2 linux
    c3:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3 linux
    c4:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4 linux
    c5:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5 linux
    c6:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6 linux
    I'm not sure whether this will help, but deleting /dev/tty is definetively the wrong way.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3
    What is 'VC3'?
    The 3rd virtual console?
    Yes

    I don't have this problem with my current Knoppix install - 3.2. I ran diff on the old and new /etc/inittab files and they are the same.
    but deleting /dev/tty is definetively the wrong way
    I have read in other forums where the tty files can become corrupted and this is how they fix the problem.

    here's my /etc/inittab file

    1:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
    2:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
    3:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
    4:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
    5:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
    6:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6
    I'll try yours and see if this clears up the problem.

    Thanx
    BD

Similar Threads

  1. How to fast load video?
    By algernon in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 01:26 AM
  2. Fast download site
    By walwal in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 07:22 PM
  3. How fast does your box boot?
    By rickenbacherus in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 08:57 PM
  4. Process respawning too fast...
    By bamarob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 06:10 PM
  5. Processes respawning too fast...
    By bamarob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 04:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Mellanox 655874-B21  655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678 picture

Mellanox 655874-B21 655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678

$13.99



Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90



CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED picture

CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED

$39.99