Now that is one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time. Have to change my USB-distro now!
Feather Linux (a Knoppix remaster) has an interesting new feature, I wonder whether this would make sense to integrate into Knoppix:
http://featherlinux.berlios.de/changelogsAdded customisation ability - simply place all the .deb, .tgz and .tar.gz
files in an /extra directory on your CD-ROM or USB stick, create a
"deblist" file which contains the names of the .debs and the order to
install them, and then boot with "knoppix custom".
Now that is one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time. Have to change my USB-distro now!
Cool, glad you like it
I haven't written a HOWTO as yet, but essentially it's simple for .tar.gz and .tar.bz2s, and for .debs you just create a deblist file which contains a list of .debs (one on each line) in the order you wish to install them - this makes sure that all dependencies are satisfied.
How do you install software into the system? Do you use an overlay filesystem? Perhaps you can post some details please. I am wonderiong whether your method could be used for klik.
Well, I just load the whole system into RAM - Feather's small enough for that to be viable. However, what you can do is create a system of symlinks that link back to the /KNOPPIX directory in the ramdisk, and simply have any new files be installed on the ramdisk.
Something along the lines of:
cp -srd /KNOPPIX/usr/ /ramdisk
ln -sf --target-directory=/ /ramdisk/usr
But still, an overlay filesystem (such as ovlfs with SLAX?) sounds good, I think it would make a good addition to Knoppix if it goes well with cloop.

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)
$64.99
SK Hynix 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2400T (HMA81GU6AFR8N-UH) DDR4 Desktop ram
$25.99
16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS
$65.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.
$299.99
LOT OF ( 4 ) 16GB DDR4 Desktop Ram sticks - Mixed brands & speeds - TESTED
$260.00
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
CPU-RAM-MOBO COMBO- 32gb DDR4 3600MHz, i5 CPU, Asus Prime Motherboard
$370.00
SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98