-
A few questions
I recently did a HD install of knoppix 3.4 Beta and had a few questions:
My CD + DVD drives dont work, they were working fine with my HD install of 3.3
Is there a way to have Knoppix automount my Archos 20 GB MP3 player?
I made a seperate FAT32 partition when I made a partition for knoppix, can I mount this as /home, and is this recommended/safe? [I plan on using this partition to transfer files to and from WindowsXP]
Thanks for reading, hope somebody can help!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: A few questions

Originally Posted by
jshah329
I recently did a HD install of knoppix 3.4 Beta and had a few questions:
My CD + DVD drives dont work, they were working fine with my HD install of 3.3
Which kernel version are you running?
That will decide how your drives are named. You see pre kernel 2.6 you needed scsi emulation. That's no longer necessary. Where are your drives located? /dev/hdb, hdc or hdd?
Is there a way to have Knoppix automount my Archos 20 GB MP3 player?
Well I don't get into the automount myself but if you at least told us how it connects you might get an answer. 
I made a seperate FAT32 partition when I made a partition for knoppix, can I mount this as /home, and is this recommended/safe? [I plan on using this partition to transfer files to and from WindowsXP]
Thanks for reading, hope somebody can help!
Don't mount it as /home. That's a bad idea. What you can do tho is mount it somewhere else like ~/shared or where ever you want. Make you own mount point.
-
Kernel version: 2.6 (uname -a responds: "Linux box 2.6.5 #1 SMP Sat May 1 22:31:22 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux")
I'm assuming that my drives are mounted in /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom, or /dev/cdromx /dev/cdromx+1 where x can be 0 or 1, as I think this is where they were before but im not sure. (ive tryed playing with the mount command, like trying "mount /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd" but this gets me "mount: special device /dev/dvd does not exist" --i verified that there is in fact a dvd file in the /dev directory. I also tryed this with the cdrom, playing around with cdaudio, cdrom, cdrom0, an dcdrom1 ie mount /dev/cdaudio /mnt/cd-rw but no luck.
Lol about the archos, I suppose the info you ask for would help...
Its a USB connection. I know it works when I have it plugged in at startup, but can I make it work if I just plug it in (I know this worked in other distros, like Xandros)
Thanks again!
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
jshah329
Kernel version: 2.6 (uname -a responds: "Linux box 2.6.5 #1 SMP Sat May 1 22:31:22 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux")
OK. I wish there was a mandatory 'Learn this first' when it comes to mounting drives. (Don't worry not your fault). We use so many symlinks and such that the user often doesn't know what the REAL name of the drive is. SO I'll tell you. 
Primary Master- /dev/hda
Primary Slave- /dev/hdb
Secondary Master- /dev/hdc
Secondary Slave- /dev/hdd
So your cdrom drive is one of those. Try this:
Code:
mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
Of course you'll need to have a data disc in the drive to mount it!
Realize that the mount point is trivial. It really doesn't matter. You could do this:
Code:
mkdir /stupid
mount /dev/hdb /stupid
As long as you're accessing a REAL device and utilizing a mount point that actually exists you can mount pretty much any drive to any mount point.
I'm assuming that my drives are mounted in /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom
Let's find out.
Code:
ls -al /dev/dvd
ls -al /dev/cdrom
That tells you what the symlinks (/dev/dvd & /dev/cdrom) are actually pointing to. Why do we use symlinks? Well.....most apps expect your cdrom or dvd-rom or cd-rw or whatever to be called /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd and this way we have uniformity. How to create a symlink?
ln -s (real device) to (symbolic name)
Code:
ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/dvd
Lol about the archos, I suppose the info you ask for would help...
Its a USB connection. I know it works when I have it plugged in at startup, but can I make it work if I just plug it in (I know this worked in other distros, like Xandros)
Thanks again!
OK someone else will have to help out w/ that one as I really dislike automount and simply don't use it.
Similar Threads
-
By SNK88 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-03-2005, 08:24 PM
-
By ichi in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-17-2004, 11:58 PM
-
By c_programmer in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-15-2004, 03:09 AM
-
By Enigma in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-12-2004, 06:35 PM
-
By tycapel7 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-25-2004, 07:42 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Lot of 5 DDR4 Mixed Desktop RAM 28GB Total G.Skill Patriot Ballistix XPG Tested
$358.50

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A
$89.95

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

Lot 500 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Registered Server Memory RAM
$47988.00

TeamGroup T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000Mz (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory
$188.00

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 240-Pin DIMM
$145.00