Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: A few questions

  1. #1

    A few questions

    I recently did a HD install of knoppix 3.4 Beta and had a few questions:

    My CD + DVD drives dont work, they were working fine with my HD install of 3.3

    Is there a way to have Knoppix automount my Archos 20 GB MP3 player?

    I made a seperate FAT32 partition when I made a partition for knoppix, can I mount this as /home, and is this recommended/safe? [I plan on using this partition to transfer files to and from WindowsXP]

    Thanks for reading, hope somebody can help!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: A few questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jshah329
    I recently did a HD install of knoppix 3.4 Beta and had a few questions:

    My CD + DVD drives dont work, they were working fine with my HD install of 3.3
    Which kernel version are you running?
    Code:
    uname-a
    That will decide how your drives are named. You see pre kernel 2.6 you needed scsi emulation. That's no longer necessary. Where are your drives located? /dev/hdb, hdc or hdd?

    Is there a way to have Knoppix automount my Archos 20 GB MP3 player?
    Well I don't get into the automount myself but if you at least told us how it connects you might get an answer.

    I made a seperate FAT32 partition when I made a partition for knoppix, can I mount this as /home, and is this recommended/safe? [I plan on using this partition to transfer files to and from WindowsXP]

    Thanks for reading, hope somebody can help!
    Don't mount it as /home. That's a bad idea. What you can do tho is mount it somewhere else like ~/shared or where ever you want. Make you own mount point.

  3. #3
    Kernel version: 2.6 (uname -a responds: "Linux box 2.6.5 #1 SMP Sat May 1 22:31:22 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux")

    I'm assuming that my drives are mounted in /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom, or /dev/cdromx /dev/cdromx+1 where x can be 0 or 1, as I think this is where they were before but im not sure. (ive tryed playing with the mount command, like trying "mount /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd" but this gets me "mount: special device /dev/dvd does not exist" --i verified that there is in fact a dvd file in the /dev directory. I also tryed this with the cdrom, playing around with cdaudio, cdrom, cdrom0, an dcdrom1 ie mount /dev/cdaudio /mnt/cd-rw but no luck.

    Lol about the archos, I suppose the info you ask for would help...
    Its a USB connection. I know it works when I have it plugged in at startup, but can I make it work if I just plug it in (I know this worked in other distros, like Xandros)

    Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by jshah329
    Kernel version: 2.6 (uname -a responds: "Linux box 2.6.5 #1 SMP Sat May 1 22:31:22 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux")
    OK. I wish there was a mandatory 'Learn this first' when it comes to mounting drives. (Don't worry not your fault). We use so many symlinks and such that the user often doesn't know what the REAL name of the drive is. SO I'll tell you.

    Primary Master- /dev/hda
    Primary Slave- /dev/hdb
    Secondary Master- /dev/hdc
    Secondary Slave- /dev/hdd

    So your cdrom drive is one of those. Try this:
    Code:
    mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
    Of course you'll need to have a data disc in the drive to mount it!

    Realize that the mount point is trivial. It really doesn't matter. You could do this:
    Code:
    mkdir /stupid
    mount /dev/hdb /stupid
    As long as you're accessing a REAL device and utilizing a mount point that actually exists you can mount pretty much any drive to any mount point.


    I'm assuming that my drives are mounted in /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom
    Let's find out.
    Code:
    ls -al /dev/dvd
    ls -al /dev/cdrom
    That tells you what the symlinks (/dev/dvd & /dev/cdrom) are actually pointing to. Why do we use symlinks? Well.....most apps expect your cdrom or dvd-rom or cd-rw or whatever to be called /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd and this way we have uniformity. How to create a symlink?

    ln -s (real device) to (symbolic name)
    Code:
    ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/dvd
    Lol about the archos, I suppose the info you ask for would help...
    Its a USB connection. I know it works when I have it plugged in at startup, but can I make it work if I just plug it in (I know this worked in other distros, like Xandros)

    Thanks again!
    OK someone else will have to help out w/ that one as I really dislike automount and simply don't use it.

Similar Threads

  1. A few questions.
    By SNK88 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 08:24 PM
  2. I have some questions
    By ichi in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 11:58 PM
  3. questions
    By c_programmer in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 03:09 AM
  4. Help me, got some questions.
    By Enigma in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 06:35 PM
  5. Last two questions before i go for it.
    By tycapel7 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 07:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop picture

1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop

$32.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99