Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: memory leak in KDE3.1?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    49

    memory leak in KDE3.1?

    After doing the hard drive install from the Knoppix CD I upgraded to KDE 3.1 and was pleasantly surprised to see a nice increase in speed and decrease in memory usage...HOWEVER... after running for a couple days my free physical memory drops from around 300MB to about 5MB even with no programs open!

    If I go to the "KDE Info Center" program and look at the memory usage breakdown I see that it's storing a huge amount of old application data for some reason. Restarting the X server doesn't seem to help but restarting the computer, of course, does.

    There's no program using all that memory when I CTRL-ALT-ESC in KDE or list processes or in the shell.

    A couple questions, then, if I may:

    1) Any idea on how to track down what's causing the memory leakage?

    2) How can I flush the cache manually?

    Thanks in advance,
    Will

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    RE: Memory leak in KDE3.1?

    <snip> Any idea on how to track down what's causing the memory leakage? </snip>

    This is what I found with Google:

    http://developer.kde.org/documentati...moryleaks.html

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    49

    figured out

    I figured out why my RAM would fill up so quickly. It's not a memory leak, but a "disk caching" feature of Linux in general. A good explaination is here:

    http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_list...e/14/0/166.htm

Similar Threads

  1. How to make apt-get to KDE3.2?
    By Amsicora in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 05:46 PM
  2. KDE3.2 install
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 06:22 PM
  3. 1 GB memory boot ISO image run entirely from memory?
    By rrolsbe in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 09:42 PM
  4. Knoppix with kde3.1.3 ??
    By Icaro in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:03 PM
  5. KDE3.1
    By mrblah in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 05:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00