Is your MOdem a Router/Modem, or just a plain Modem?
I'm having the same problems - see my post "Network help reqd, pls" and
earlier "Knoppix 3.4 and net conection via adsl router/modem and lan"
master_b
Sorry, I seem to be asking the same question as a lot of people, but hours of surfing the forum haven't helped.
I'm running WinXP and Knoppix via bootable cd, and am having no luck getting my modem (A Terayon TJ 71x) to work.
This is what I'm doing right now, with "sudo netcardconfig":
ip = ipconfig "IP Address"
Default gateway = ipconfig "Default Gateway" (Imagine that!)
Nameserver = ipconfig DNS Servers (?)
Network Mask = ipconfig Subnet mask (?)
Broadcast address = I have no idea what this is.
This works a bit better than just entering the ip and leaving defaults (no network unreachable error within the netcardconfig thing) but it still can't connect to a remote ip.
If you have any ideas about a new direction to explore with this or think that any other information I can give you would be usefull, please do tell.
lspci sez:
Ethernet Controller: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 0024
Flags: bus master, medium deusel, latency 90, IRQ 11
I/O ports at 8c00 [size=256]
Memory at d000a000 (32-bit non-prefetchable) [size=4k]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64k]
Capabilities [40] Power Management Version 2
It may or may not be helpful to note that the activity lights on the modem and the ethernet jack indicate swellness, despite their failure to operate.
Thanks in advance.
ED: My ISP uses dynamic IP assignment only.
Is your MOdem a Router/Modem, or just a plain Modem?
I'm having the same problems - see my post "Network help reqd, pls" and
earlier "Knoppix 3.4 and net conection via adsl router/modem and lan"
master_b
I believe it's just a modem, although I'm unclear about what constitutes a router. It only connects to one pc and the cable jack, so it doesn't seem that there would be much routing to do.Originally Posted by master_b
run netcardconfig as your doing and put in values for the DNS servers.Originally Posted by moift
With out them your going no where. Your PC has no way to find for example, www.knoppix.net, with out DNS servers. Your ISP should have provided them for you on a set up sheet.
Network Mask aka Netmask should be: 255.255.255.0
Broadcast address will be: x.x.x.255 where x.x.x is MOST likely 192.168.0, but it depends on what you setup your network to use. It should match the first 3 of the IP address your putting in above.
Have you tried just letting Knoppix use DHCP? Does that not work to pull an IP and the needed info from the cable modem?
Most likely EXAMPLE setup:
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Nameserver: x.x.x.x x.x.x.x (Thats a space to set 2 DNS servers)
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Broadcast Address: 192.168.0.254
Now the cable modem could be using different IP ranges so check its manual to see what its defaults are.
If you have something like : 169.x.x.x for your IP address under XP in ipconfig /all then DONT USE IT. Thats an XP default.

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory
$149.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$85.00