Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Good CURRENT Debian Linux books for converts?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    118

    Good CURRENT Debian Linux books for converts?

    I am looking for comments on GOOD and RECENT or CURRENT books for Debian, since thats the underlying distro for Knoppix, for a convert.

    I've got a background in stuff from a PDP8e to DOS to wimpdoze, and some of the basics of *nix/Linux systems.

    I've looked at the offerings at Amazon and various Linux sites and all seem to be several years old. Some 4+ years!

    Any thing more current than 2 or more years old.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    49
    The stuff available at debian.org is very helpful and up to date: http://www.debian.org/doc/

    The Linux Documentation Project is also a great source for manuals of all kinds: http://www.tldp.org/

    If you need them in dead tree format just download them, stick them on a disk, take them to Kinkos, and pay $5-$10 each to have them printed and bound

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Good CURRENT Debian Linux books for converts?

    --Actually I couldn't believe it until I went to www.oreilly.com and found that the current Debian offering is from 1999.

    --Oh well. Actually you can prolly get away with an outdated book and the latest documentation on apt-get and friends.

    Quote Originally Posted by rec9140
    I am looking for comments on GOOD and RECENT or CURRENT books for Debian, since thats the underlying distro for Knoppix, for a convert.

    I've got a background in stuff from a PDP8e to DOS to wimpdoze, and some of the basics of *nix/Linux systems.

    I've looked at the offerings at Amazon and various Linux sites and all seem to be several years old. Some 4+ years!

    Any thing more current than 2 or more years old.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Good CURRENT Debian Linux books for converts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --Actually I couldn't believe it until I went to www.oreilly.com and found that the current Debian offering is from 1999.
    [/quote]

    I was amazed myself. Sometimes I gotta have that book so I can quit looking at the screen.

    Kinko's doesn't sound like a bad option though.

Similar Threads

  1. need help! no sound on Debian linux
    By linweix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 05:49 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 09:57 PM
  3. Why Linux? Why Debian?
    By aay in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 05:21 AM
  4. Good Linux primer online here...
    By Dave_Bechtel in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 10:08 AM
  5. Debian Linux Book?
    By Neb00 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2002, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM picture

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM

$37.99



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00



Samsung (21x16GB) 336GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA, PC4-2666V Laptop Memory DDR4 picture

Samsung (21x16GB) 336GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA, PC4-2666V Laptop Memory DDR4

$1499.00



SK Hynix 32GB (1x32GB) 2666MHz HMAA4GS6MJR8N-VK 2Rx8 PC4-2666V Laptop RAM picture

SK Hynix 32GB (1x32GB) 2666MHz HMAA4GS6MJR8N-VK 2Rx8 PC4-2666V Laptop RAM

$129.95



[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] 8GB DDR3 LAPTOP RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX, etc. picture

[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] 8GB DDR3 LAPTOP RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX, etc.

$89.99



Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3600MHz CMW16GX4M2D3600C18 picture

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3600MHz CMW16GX4M2D3600C18

$99.70



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 RAM 16GB (1X16GB) 3200Mhz CL16 Desktop Memory picture

Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 RAM 16GB (1X16GB) 3200Mhz CL16 Desktop Memory

$182.23