-
Senior Member
registered user
Good CURRENT Debian Linux books for converts?
I am looking for comments on GOOD and RECENT or CURRENT books for Debian, since thats the underlying distro for Knoppix, for a convert.
I've got a background in stuff from a PDP8e to DOS to wimpdoze, and some of the basics of *nix/Linux systems.
I've looked at the offerings at Amazon and various Linux sites and all seem to be several years old. Some 4+ years!
Any thing more current than 2 or more years old.
-
The stuff available at debian.org is very helpful and up to date: http://www.debian.org/doc/
The Linux Documentation Project is also a great source for manuals of all kinds: http://www.tldp.org/
If you need them in dead tree format just download them, stick them on a disk, take them to Kinkos, and pay $5-$10 each to have them printed and bound
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Good CURRENT Debian Linux books for converts?
--Actually I couldn't believe it until I went to www.oreilly.com and found that the current Debian offering is from 1999.
--Oh well. Actually you can prolly get away with an outdated book and the latest documentation on apt-get and friends.

Originally Posted by
rec9140
I am looking for comments on GOOD and RECENT or CURRENT books for Debian, since thats the underlying distro for Knoppix, for a convert.
I've got a background in stuff from a PDP8e to DOS to wimpdoze, and some of the basics of *nix/Linux systems.
I've looked at the offerings at Amazon and various Linux sites and all seem to be several years old. Some 4+ years!
Any thing more current than 2 or more years old.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Good CURRENT Debian Linux books for converts?

Originally Posted by
Dave_Bechtel
--Actually I couldn't believe it until I went to
www.oreilly.com and found that the current Debian offering is from 1999.
[/quote]
I was amazed myself. Sometimes I gotta have that book so I can quit looking at the screen. 
Kinko's doesn't sound like a bad option though.
Similar Threads
-
By linweix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-09-2004, 05:49 AM
-
By aay in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-14-2004, 09:57 PM
-
By aay in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 05:21 AM
-
By Dave_Bechtel in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-07-2003, 10:08 AM
-
By Neb00 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-03-2002, 08:14 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$13.99

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server
$100.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00