Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Need Guidance: Creating locked down browser only (kiosk?)

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15
    :D

    Hello, I am interested in building a KIOSK build of knoppix as well. I have been mastering rebuilds of knoppix since December. I have quite a bit of linux OS experiece. Please let me know what I can do to help this effort along. There are several options for preventing the system from talking outside a range of servers, if that is what you want.

    thanks.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    Some time ago there was some interest about firefox only livecd. Here is second version.

    Brief changelog:
    - updated to latest debian unstable package
    - added chatzilla extension
    - added bandwith tester extension
    - added some other nice extension that make life easier
    - automatic detection of cups printers on your network and inclusion of them into firefox print menu
    - added bookmarks to some morphs
    - it is now fully autobuilt by scripts so it is very easy to create custom versions (public release of build environment scripts will follow up tommorow)
    - added win32 version of firefox and thunderbid installers to root of cd

    Size: ~185M
    MD5sum: c514fb757968ac76c5f2a4f95de3492d
    (please always check md5sum of downloaded livecd's. You can't otherwise guarantee the quality and saftey of livecd)

    Download link: http://www.kiberpipa.org/~gandalf/firefox2.iso

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    A few days I ago I promised that I will post publicly scripts that were used to autobuild firefox2 livecd.

    They can be found at: http://ibuild.livecd.net . Inside 0.23 release is config/firefox2.xml which is configuration file used for this livecd.

    Data files are published here: http://www.kiberpipa.org/~gandalf/data-firefox2.tar.bz2

    A howto is a bit outdated, revised version with GUI instructions will follow up soon (in next few days). If you have trouble with scripts you can always use our mailing list (found at homepage of ibuild project) or you can find me channel #morphix on irc.freenode.org

    Scripts are by no means finished but are begining to get very useful so I would welcome all contributions and comments to bring a bit of automation into world of creation of livecds with some time.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2
    Hello Bob,

    I am having exactly the same requirements you mentioned in this thread.

    Could solve your problem?

    Many thanks in advance

    Uwe


    Quote Originally Posted by oitsubob
    Well, I'm not usually one to cross post, but since I started this thread a couple months ago and found it again, I figured what's the harm in adding to it.

    Anyway, I took Ghandalfar's advice and downloaded the Morphix/Firefox iso. After spending the day fooling around with it, it appears to be just about what I'm looking for. I would, however, need to make a few changes.

    1) Change start-up background image and color of progress bar to match,
    2) Boot Firefox into fullscreen mode less the title tab, add the printer icon and remove address/search bars,
    3) Change default home page,
    4) Disable the Firefox window resize while in full screen mode and/or take steps to prevent user from clicking on desktop to open a new Firefox window.
    5) Disable Ctrl+Alt+Fn keys, and
    6) Edit inittab to force user to login if they are able to crash X.

    I'd like to try to do this myself if at all possible but don't really know where to start. Would someone be willing to guide me through the process? Any help would be very much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Bob

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    21
    Spectackle,
    Check out www.livecd.net. I was able to achieve my objectives using the LiveInfo CD.

    Thanks,

    Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a knoppix Web Kiosk?
    By Hunkah in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 250
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 10:23 AM
  2. Help! ...Remastered and kiosk
    By empress101 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 05:48 AM
  3. knoppix for kiosk, how?
    By pinoylinux in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 11:52 AM
  4. Kiosk Hardware
    By dragonwheels in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 07:17 PM
  5. Kiosk
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 04:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600

$239.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99