-
input output error during install
When I attempt to install knoppix to my hard drive it goes up t o27% then continually gives an input/output error message how can I fix this?
Also sometimes thois message comes while loading or entring any commands.
-
Senior Member
registered user
input output error during install
'input output error during install' would have been a much better subject.
Note that some users search for subjects, and most questions are more or less 'errors'.
Otherwise questions will get asked (and probably answered) over and over again.
What was the question, again? 
Ah - 27% ...
Well, catch these messages:
Code:
INSTALL_COMMAND 1>install_log.txt 2>&1
will write the output (1) and the error-messages (2) to a logfile.
'2>&1' just means 'write errors to the same location as normal messages.
Then open that install_log.txt with an editor, and cut'n'paste it here.
You're sure, that there is enough disk-space on the partition?
Of course you use your install-command instead of 'INSTALL_COMMAND'.
-
There is enough disk space. I have 7gig on the partion this should be going on.
I wonder could my hard drive now be corrupt. I have also tryed installing other OSs without luck. but then why would it have worked at all?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Do you use knx-hdinstall for installation?
If yes, my hint with a log-file will not work, since it is an interactive script.
Can you protocoll the error message in detail?
-
All it says is
cp: reading `filename': input/output error
I think it might be a hard drive problem beacuse when I tryed to install windows thats what it said.
-
Senior Member
registered user
'reading' looks more as an error from the cd, but then you wouldn't get the same error for a linux-install. Of course, installation-programs may write some data to disk, and read it later.
I would try to verify the partition (fdisk?) and rebuild the filesystem (you tried to install windows and linux to the same filesystem? that doesn't sound reasonable... or is it a different partition on the same drive? or did you create a different filesystem intermediate?)
If fdisk tells errors too, I would go for a new harddrive.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I am having the same problem also, but I suspect that my dvd rom drive is messing up.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10713
Similar Threads
-
By mikesmith36 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-24-2005, 10:35 AM
-
By enlightened_j in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-21-2005, 06:39 PM
-
By cobra1122 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-03-2005, 08:17 PM
-
By downdogWoof in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-07-2005, 05:27 AM
-
By dark_mage in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-30-2005, 01:29 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Yealink T53W Black IP Phone Verizon VoIP LOT OF 4 Business Desk Phone
$150.00

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone - Charcoal
$98.95