-
Senior Member
registered user
"Poor Man's Dual Boot" with KNOPPIX 3.4
Has anyone got this working? I have many times used the FAQ located at http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo to boot the KNOPPIX 3.3 compressed file system from my hard drive instead of from CDROM.
I especially liked using LILO to set up a boot menu so that I don't have to use boot floppies or a cdrom to get the HD installed filesystem going.
The steps I used to use to create a boot directory on the partition where I copy the CD image to (HDA3 in this example) went as follows:
mkdir /mnt/hda3/boot/
cp /boot/System.map /mnt/hda3/boot/
mount /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot-en.img /mnt/test -o loop -t vfat
cp /mnt/test/* /mnt/hda3/boot
However, with 3.4 there is no longer a boot.img or boot-en.img.
Although I can still do a manual "poor mans dual boot " using a set of floppies or the CDROM to boot, I would like to be able to boot directly from the PC without using any media.
Thanks in advance,
~pau1
-
Senior Member
registered user
Look under /boot/isolinux on your CD:
linux24 is the 2.4.x kernel and minirt24.gz the corresponding initrd FS
linux26 is the 2.6.x kernel and minirt26.gz the corresponding initrd FS
I've copied those to my C: (fat) drive, and here's the relevant part of my lilo.conf:
Code:
image=/windows/C/knoppix/linux24
initrd=/windows/C/knoppix/minirt24.gz
label=knoppix_34_24
append="nomce hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi alsa lang=be screen=1280x1024"
image=/windows/C/knoppix/linux26
initrd=/windows/C/knoppix/minirt26.gz
vga=791
label=knoppix_34_26
append="nomce hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi alsa lang=be screen=1280x1024"
Similar Threads
-
By gnarvaja in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-24-2005, 11:08 PM
-
By eco2geek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-30-2004, 03:37 AM
-
By pau1knopp in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-19-2004, 09:50 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 18
Last Post: 10-02-2003, 09:41 PM
-
By Rgosen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-11-2003, 08:11 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)
$39.00

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99