Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: I am alinux begginer - please help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    2

    I am alinux begginer - please help

    I've just got the new knoppix 3.4 because i was bored of windows xp and i wanted to try something new. I like it very much, but i have a problem. i can't configure my modem properly. I have a SoftK56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP modem (COM 3) and i don't know how to configure it - when i try to connect, "the modem is busy", and there is no dial tone or anything else. please help , because i've heard that u can surf the net much faster with linux and i want to try it. Thank you!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    If its an internal modem its probably one of those infamous "winmodems" designed to work with WIMPdoze to save money on hardware. If its external, I've heard others on this form are succesful with KPPP (see <K><Internet><KPPP>).

    Good Luck,
    AJG

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    denver, co
    Posts
    72
    You can go to linmodems.org to see if they list your modem in their database.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    2
    It is an internal modem and I tried using KPPP, but it didn't work.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1

    Fixing "modem busy" kernel 2.6

    Once had the same prob. I use kernel 2.6.6

    dmesg | grep ttyS

    Find out where the system has set your modem.

    Mine was ttyS10

    try this: cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV ttyS10

    Using kde filemanager I linked /dev/ttyS10 to my desktop. Renamed the link to: modem
    Then moved the new "modem" link into /dev

    KPPP then queried the modem fine I'm using the connection for this post.

Similar Threads

  1. Begginer Trouble
    By Bubbs in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 10:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Atari Home Computer Software/Books/Manuals/Magazines Lot - Read desc for details picture

Atari Home Computer Software/Books/Manuals/Magazines Lot - Read desc for details

$95.00



Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor picture

Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor

$70.00



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



Apple Macintosh SE Analog Board 820-0206-A 630-0147 - Working (260201 2) picture

Apple Macintosh SE Analog Board 820-0206-A 630-0147 - Working (260201 2)

$29.99



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Packard Bell ISA Sound Card AD1845XP Analog Devices SoundPort DOS Win95 Untested picture

Packard Bell ISA Sound Card AD1845XP Analog Devices SoundPort DOS Win95 Untested

$25.46



Advanced Gravis Analog Controller Joystics For Tandy Computers complete in box  picture

Advanced Gravis Analog Controller Joystics For Tandy Computers complete in box

$90.98



Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card picture

Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card

$26.21