Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: I am alinux begginer - please help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    2

    I am alinux begginer - please help

    I've just got the new knoppix 3.4 because i was bored of windows xp and i wanted to try something new. I like it very much, but i have a problem. i can't configure my modem properly. I have a SoftK56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP modem (COM 3) and i don't know how to configure it - when i try to connect, "the modem is busy", and there is no dial tone or anything else. please help , because i've heard that u can surf the net much faster with linux and i want to try it. Thank you!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    If its an internal modem its probably one of those infamous "winmodems" designed to work with WIMPdoze to save money on hardware. If its external, I've heard others on this form are succesful with KPPP (see <K><Internet><KPPP>).

    Good Luck,
    AJG

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    denver, co
    Posts
    72
    You can go to linmodems.org to see if they list your modem in their database.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    2
    It is an internal modem and I tried using KPPP, but it didn't work.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1

    Fixing "modem busy" kernel 2.6

    Once had the same prob. I use kernel 2.6.6

    dmesg | grep ttyS

    Find out where the system has set your modem.

    Mine was ttyS10

    try this: cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV ttyS10

    Using kde filemanager I linked /dev/ttyS10 to my desktop. Renamed the link to: modem
    Then moved the new "modem" link into /dev

    KPPP then queried the modem fine I'm using the connection for this post.

Similar Threads

  1. Begginer Trouble
    By Bubbs in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 10:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



Asus ROG Strix B460-H LGA 1200 ATX Intel 10th Gen DDR4 Motherboard picture

Asus ROG Strix B460-H LGA 1200 ATX Intel 10th Gen DDR4 Motherboard

$84.99