If its an internal modem its probably one of those infamous "winmodems" designed to work with WIMPdoze to save money on hardware. If its external, I've heard others on this form are succesful with KPPP (see <K><Internet><KPPP>).
Good Luck,
AJG
I've just got the new knoppix 3.4 because i was bored of windows xp and i wanted to try something new. I like it very much, but i have a problem. i can't configure my modem properly. I have a SoftK56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP modem (COM 3) and i don't know how to configure it - when i try to connect, "the modem is busy", and there is no dial tone or anything else. please help , because i've heard that u can surf the net much faster with linux and i want to try it. Thank you!
If its an internal modem its probably one of those infamous "winmodems" designed to work with WIMPdoze to save money on hardware. If its external, I've heard others on this form are succesful with KPPP (see <K><Internet><KPPP>).
Good Luck,
AJG
You can go to linmodems.org to see if they list your modem in their database.
It is an internal modem and I tried using KPPP, but it didn't work.
Once had the same prob. I use kernel 2.6.6
dmesg | grep ttyS
Find out where the system has set your modem.
Mine was ttyS10
try this: cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV ttyS10
Using kde filemanager I linked /dev/ttyS10 to my desktop. Renamed the link to: modem
Then moved the new "modem" link into /dev
KPPP then queried the modem fine I'm using the connection for this post.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$95.99
VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU
$1100.00