as i read this, its simply illegal to be skimming off someones wireless connection...im not sure if this would be a great idea...
First, if you don't know what Captive Portal is...look here...http://www.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/CaptivePortal
Since Knoppix is a CD based distro, I think including a wireless gateway/authentication scheme such as that of captive portal as an option (by enabling) - this would be great for Wireless hot spots.
For instance, I want to set up an Access Point (AP) for friends/cowokers to surf the Internet using Wireless; however, I want their browsers to automatically be redirected to an authentication page. If their username/password exists on the system then their initial destination (ie. www.yahoo.com) would go through; otherwise they will get access denied.
This can be modified for commercial implementation at a hot-spot, small business, just nice and want to give free internet =).
I hope this is easy enough to implement. I know how to do this is Windows 2000 using Proxy Server or ISA but I am too new for Linux to begin...but if you guys have an idea, please share them. Where to start, step-by-step - good documentation.
Please do not say read iptables and read this or that....question is - what's the high-level thought process to make this work?
Thanks![]()
as i read this, its simply illegal to be skimming off someones wireless connection...im not sure if this would be a great idea...
Please reread the above...what I simply want to accomplish is set up a captive portal at home using Knoppix and allow others with wireless connections to connect to my Internet - using Knoppix as a proxy but with authentication prior to usage. Is that clear yet?
This has nothing to do with promoting illegal usage of Internet or anything illegal for that matter. Again, you may want to read the link above from the first post.
uh..i meant no offense with my previous post..so why all the anger?Originally Posted by lindleyrl
![]()
Just an idea: perhaps the sence of you subheader is onlyOriginally Posted by bloodmire
clear for mother-speakers and sound not realy friendly?
"When you see a light at the end of the tunnel, you know you've been fragged with a railgun"
What means fragged?
And where is the link to Knoppix?
Rob
http://locustworld.com/modules.php?o...rder=0&thold=0 is probably exactly what you want.
This bootable CD version of the MeshAP software can be used to instantly run the software on a laptop or desktop PC. Nothing is installed on the hard drive and everything runs from memory. This release includes full 128bit AES inter-node encryption, load balancing and traffic shaping.Or for more general use, a captive portal captures new wireless clients and requires authentication or viewing of a splash page before being allowed to proceed.
What the heck is it with you Probono? You are on fire today with good tips. First Klik and now this. I have been looking for something like this for a while. What other good tips are you hiding from us
Seriously, I plan on giving this a try. What a great way to set up and share a wireless network. I only hope that it allows for bandwidth shaping like m0n0wall does. If it does, then it will be even better than m0n0wall since it runs off a live cd and unlike m0n0wall it has a captive portal which requires users to first authenticate.
_________________________________
EDIT
Nevermind. I read the page more closely and now see that it does support traffic shaping. Cool! Can't let those freeloaders have all my bandwidth now can I.![]()

Primax FaxSwitcher II FS100, VINTAGE WORKS
$40.00
Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
Vintage Trading Expert for Windows - AIQ Systems Floppy Disks Software + Storage
$75.00
Vintage Honeywell Military Aerospace Avionics PCB Gold Ceramic Hybrid IC Board
$299.95
Vintage IBM 5153 Personal Computer Color Display CGA CRT Monitor Powers On
$249.00
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
PhotoMaker Vintage Macintosh Painting and Image Editing Software 1995 SEALED
$35.00
Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$135.37
VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00