there is a "remaster" of knoppix called Damn-Small-Linux
fits nicely on a 50Mb creditcard-CD
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
you could likely make your own aswell, or perhaps remaster DSL (should be somewhat less work)?
Hey,
Firstly sorry if this is the wrong location of the forums to place this post but I am new here and there were so many that I didn't know which suited best!
Anyway I have not "made" this yet however just wondering if anybody else has and if it is possible or not.
Anyway last time I used Knoppix was two years ago so last night I download 3.4 and see if the thing still brings a smile to my face like before - Any, yes, it sure does!!
Now I have tried this I would really like to have a VERY portable Knoppix to carry round with me ALL the time (It has EVERY kind of software I like and use!) so I thought the best way would be to use one of those credit card sized CD's so then it can just stay in the credit card section of my wallet and be with me whenever it is needed! A quick question before I go further - Would this work and be ok?
Anyway I have no idea how much these credit card sized ones hold but I'm sure it would have to cut Knoppix down alot but would I be able to (Maybe require a bit of help here guysIf I get round to it anyway - Is this easy for a beginner to Linux?).
So I was thinking of doing the following with it - Removing all of the bits currently in it that I don't like such as the favourites, etc, already within software and that thing that loads up on start up - That really isn't required! And of course remove some software yet I don't know which until I know how much I would have to get rid of.
I would then like to have my own splash screen too if I were to do this as I have read it is easy.
Anyway - Now you have heard my idea (Which I'd imagine has been done before) - Is it possible? Is it easy? Would I be able to do the things I wish such as edit splash screen and remove the certain programs and settings,etc that I do not wish to have?
Thanks in advanced for any help on this matter (Would LOVE it is I could do this)
Thanks
Dan
there is a "remaster" of knoppix called Damn-Small-Linux
fits nicely on a 50Mb creditcard-CD
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
you could likely make your own aswell, or perhaps remaster DSL (should be somewhat less work)?
It is possible but it will take you about a month to learn the skills and cut down the extras of knoppix..

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95
NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11
$450.00
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00
Intel Xeon E-2146G 6-Core 3.5GHz CPU
$85.00
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU
$279.99
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Apple Mac Pro A1186-Xeon E5462-20GB DDR3 Ram 500GB HDD+1TB HDD+2TB HDD MacOS Yes
$274.99