Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Business Card Sized Knoppix?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4

    Business Card Sized Knoppix?

    Hey,

    Firstly sorry if this is the wrong location of the forums to place this post but I am new here and there were so many that I didn't know which suited best!

    Anyway I have not "made" this yet however just wondering if anybody else has and if it is possible or not.

    Anyway last time I used Knoppix was two years ago so last night I download 3.4 and see if the thing still brings a smile to my face like before - Any, yes, it sure does!!

    Now I have tried this I would really like to have a VERY portable Knoppix to carry round with me ALL the time (It has EVERY kind of software I like and use!) so I thought the best way would be to use one of those credit card sized CD's so then it can just stay in the credit card section of my wallet and be with me whenever it is needed! A quick question before I go further - Would this work and be ok?

    Anyway I have no idea how much these credit card sized ones hold but I'm sure it would have to cut Knoppix down alot but would I be able to (Maybe require a bit of help here guys If I get round to it anyway - Is this easy for a beginner to Linux?).

    So I was thinking of doing the following with it - Removing all of the bits currently in it that I don't like such as the favourites, etc, already within software and that thing that loads up on start up - That really isn't required! And of course remove some software yet I don't know which until I know how much I would have to get rid of.

    I would then like to have my own splash screen too if I were to do this as I have read it is easy.

    Anyway - Now you have heard my idea (Which I'd imagine has been done before) - Is it possible? Is it easy? Would I be able to do the things I wish such as edit splash screen and remove the certain programs and settings,etc that I do not wish to have?

    Thanks in advanced for any help on this matter (Would LOVE it is I could do this )

    Thanks

    Dan

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    there is a "remaster" of knoppix called Damn-Small-Linux
    fits nicely on a 50Mb creditcard-CD
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    you could likely make your own aswell, or perhaps remaster DSL (should be somewhat less work)?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    It is possible but it will take you about a month to learn the skills and cut down the extras of knoppix..

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 02:23 PM
  2. Infomation Technology turning into business...
    By chris-harry in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 11:17 AM
  3. Knoppix Business Servers
    By mstromberg in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 11:50 PM
  4. Knoppix business-card version - need advice
    By stefan_tm in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 11:56 PM
  5. M$ Small Business Server Killer
    By BadAttitude in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2004, 04:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.62